Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So 2008 whipple SC'd GT trade for a same yearish GT500???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Default So 2008 whipple SC'd GT trade for a same yearish GT500???

Ok guys i been thinking how much i can get for my 2008 gt. Either trade for a gt500 or sell then put money down on one. This is DEFFENITLY not a sure plan but just a thaught and wanted to see what some of your opinons were. My 08 has about 20K on it and its got a whipple SC, roush stg 3 suspension, rims, tires, gauges, LT headers etc.... if you really want to see view my profile pictures. I still owe some money on it but for other reasons was thinking about having a GT500 over this. Iam still kinda young and have a very low budget so any advice from you guys would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:59 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Plan on paying about double what you will get for your car for a GT500. If you're okay with that, go for it.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

On one hand, the GT500 is a better foundation to build power and is more exclusive.

But, since you say you're young and have a low budget, I'd say keep it and pay it off. It seems like it's one hell of a car. Once you are older and pay it off, then I'd say consider a trade
Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
On one hand, the GT500 is a better foundation to build power and is more exclusive.

But, since you say you're young and have a low budget, I'd say keep it and pay it off. It seems like it's one hell of a car. Once you are older and pay it off, then I'd say consider a trade
+1, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

GT500 is a great car...I traded in my GT for it. Better starting platform, better potential, more rare = better resale (not that I ever will)...

But they are expensive...and you also have to consider you're going to spend more in gas and on insurance. All the maintenance is more expensive too! You only have to do oil change every 7,500 miles, but it's over $100 for an oil change because it's full synthetic. Not to mention that all the upgrades are more expensive as well...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236

Very true.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
GT500 is a great car...I traded in my GT for it. Better starting platform, better potential, more rare = better resale (not that I ever will)...

But they are expensive...and you also have to consider you're going to spend more in gas and on insurance. All the maintenance is more expensive too! You only have to do oil change every 7,500 miles, but it's over $100 for an oil change because it's full synthetic. Not to mention that all the upgrades are more expensive as well...
why is that $100 just because its full synthetic? you can get 5w50 fully synthetic for under $9 a quart? yeah if you take it to the dealer they might charge $100 or so cause they like gouging you!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Yea I guess you guys are right. I just look at it as a gt500 being a little bit more reliable then my car. Getting tired of busting pulleys and constantly doing maintence checks on the car cause there is so many performances parts that I added to it and the car is not under warenty anymore. I need to find a daily driver insted of using my stang to go up to abc and buy a 12 pack...
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I know where a GT500 is for sale.....with LOOOOW miles.......
Old 06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
why is that $100 just because its full synthetic? you can get 5w50 fully synthetic for under $9 a quart? yeah if you take it to the dealer they might charge $100 or so cause they like gouging you!
I know that it would be cheaper to do it myself....

I go to the dealership and pay the extra $ for a few reasons:

first, I'm still 100% under warranty, and while I could change it myself and still keep that...going to the dealership and getting the "stamp" is easier and less I'll have to fight if something happens.

second, they change the oil, clean my (aftermarket) air filter, fill all my fuilds, perform a multipoint inspection so I got advance warning of problems, vacuum and rinse my car, put in 103 gas additive, and give me a card with free road side assistance...(since I'm under warranty, I give it to my family for free roadside for them).
7 qts @ $9 = $63 + performance oil filter + tax + misc $ for washer fluid, power steering fluid, radiator...adds up quick

finally, after adding up all that they do I wouldn't be saving that much to do it myself...and it's well worth it to me to do that instead of trying to get under my lowered car in the parking lot of my apartment complex on the burning asphalt of the georgia summer.

just me though...

Last edited by distantsoldier; 06-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: So 2008 whipple SC'd GT trade for a same yearish GT500???