Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered/Bumpy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i have steeda sport springs, they feel much stiffer than stock and noticeably stiffer than the prokit i had on there. even with the dspecs set 4 turns from stiffest, its still stiff. just how i like it, just not how the passengers do.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Steeda Sport Springs, D-Specs on full soft and 20" Alcoas. Ride is very good. Much better than my C6 Z06.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 06-16-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i know thats the first thing people will say...."you need shocks/struts"....but that may not be the case.

have you checked your bump stops? with a 2" drop your frame is probably very close to sitting on the bumps stops,so with 2 people in the car and going over bumps,its very probable you are riding on the bump stops,limiting the travel of your suspension.....and that will stop the suspension from doing what it is designed to do, it will make for a very bumpy ride. You can remove the rear wheels and then remove the bump stops, or you can just them down.

imsitting on a set of eibach pro's, after 2 years i still have not felt the need for new struts....its not a cadilac but i can drive for 8+ hours in the car and feel fine.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I'd like to lower my car, but the roads where I live are horrendous. I'm in Maryland, so imagine Baltimore/D.C. roads, but I'm in poor Western Maryland, so take away all funds to help maintain the road. Even the "good sections" beat the sht out of everything.

I might be moving to Florida later this year. They have nice flat roads down there. The BMR kit intrigues me, 1.5"F/2"R
Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I haven't got around to taking pics yet, but I had my suspension installed yesterday. I am running Koni yellow adjustable shocks, steeda sport springs, J&M camber plates, and a J&M adjustable panhard. When i picked the car up i was all nervous. I had an 05 vert before the 10 and it was lowered with the eibach sport springs and tokino (sp?) blue shocks. The ride was just like you mention, atrocious. I'm talking a sore back and but after half an hour in the car. i hated it.

i was so afraid the 10 would be like that that i almost didn;t lower the car. All i can say is that koni yellows with steeda sport springs are f'in awesome. I picked the cr up and drove it home and the ride is fantastic. No bounce, no jarring over expansion joints or potholes. the ride is firmer, more connected feeling, but not at all harsh like th e05 was. I was thinking the whole way that the shocks had to be on full soft to get such a good ride.

When I headed to the gym this morning I decided to check the shocks to see where they were set. They were a 1.5 turns from FULL FIRM. Cranked them down to full soft to see what it was like, I'm telling you it rides as good as stock but feels more connected. i feel more of what the road surface is like, but the ride is just great. i couldn;t be happier with the setup and i highly recommend it. I learned my lesson with the 05, going cheap is not the way to do a suspension. All the parts cost me about $1200, i don't have much time to work on my own car (and its a billion degrees in Texas right now) so i paid another $350 for install and alignment. Oh, the steeda sports lower the car about an inch in front and 1.25 in the rear, it looks perfect IMHO and evens the stance out. I'll post up pics soon.
Hello Shane,

I'm getting ready to lower my vert and was curious why you choose the Steeda Sports over the Ultralites. I found a post by a Steeda rep saying the UL's were the most comfortable. I'm also going with Koni's...either the adj. yellows or the Str.t's. Any incite on which of these shocks to choose?

I would imagine with my vert I might get a little extra drop in the rear due to increased weight over the rear axle correct...anyone know how much more drop when running the Steeda's on a vert GT?

btw...this is my first post...great site you guys have here.

-Ken
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Tpjb57

Default Bump Stops?

well I will check them. have a lift so it will be easy to see if they are touching or getting smashed. I would think the haveing to spend $600 on a set of struts is crazy. somebody must sell some shorter struts for alot less. just a thought.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Rollingstone
1st Gear Member

I lowered mine with Eiback pro kit and later added some Koni yellows. After adding the Koni's the ride did improve but in no way it compares to stock. I also have 20' wheels with low profiles tires so I guess that doesn't help.

My girlfriend also has a 08 mustang with stock suspension and every time I drive her car I feel the difference. Also, a difference in acceleration probably due to the weigh of my wheels and finally a difference in MPG Next time I'm going to think twice about getting 20' wheels.......

Anyways, besides adding struts/shocks to a lowered car what else can we do to improve the ride?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SterlingGTVert
Hello Shane,

I'm getting ready to lower my vert and was curious why you choose the Steeda Sports over the Ultralites. I found a post by a Steeda rep saying the UL's were the most comfortable.
Sam Strano disagree with Steeda's marketing about the difference between the Sports and Ultralights. He sells both versions and has a lot of experience so I believe him. I've seen a comment posted by him in another thread that the Sports ride better than the UltraLights, due to the higher spring rates on the ULs. The higher rate is required of a lower spring. He sells more Sports than Uls from what I've read in his posts.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

The roads being terrible in Louisiana might have played a big part.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Tpjb57

Default Bad Roads

yes I drove from mobile to new orleans. the roads in La sucked! dips and bumps. FYI my springs came from Summit Racing. Looked around on the net and it seems that any strut that has a 1 1/2" drop cost abot $5-600 a set. guess I will just have to save. If ya'll ever in New rleans go to the Central Grocery for a real Muffalatta.

Quick Reply: Lowered/Bumpy Ride