Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Loose door handle adjustment

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Default DIY: Loose door handle adjustment

First off, I'd like to introduce myself...I've been a proud owner of an 05 Mustang GT for about 2 months now (came over from the BMW forums). One of the first things I noticed about my car is how the drivers door handle is loose and doesn't retract back like it should after being pulled. Most of you are probably familiar with this problem, and I have found some scattered DIYs, but I figured I'd post my own just because it never hurts to have another perspective.

First, you'll need to remove the door panel. There are a plethora of DIYs out there for this, but I used this one:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...adjustment.pdf

Second, you'll want to carefully peel back the moisture barrier on the end left end of the door. You only have to peel it back enough to expose the large opening:

Looking into the opening, you can see how the rod system works. The gray hook-shaped part behind the handle (where the rod attaches to the handle) will have play in it...this is what we want to eliminate.

This clip is where the adjustment will be made. It's a simple clasp that grabs onto the threaded rod.

At this point, you can undo the clasp. I was able to snap it open with my fingers, but use a small flathead screwdriver if you must. Take caution not to break it.

With the clasp open, you can now pull the rod free. Then, push the rod upwards as far as possible to eliminate the play, snap it back into place, and snap the clasp closed. Test the door handle to make sure the play is gone.

Finally, take care to replace the moisture barrier. I like to heat the adhesive up with a heat gun to reattach.

Reinstall door panel.

And that's it!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Nice write up, thanks. Mine is just begining to get a little loose, and I may need to address this soon.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

The usual cause is the plastic door handle(blue in your case) that holds the lever(gray piece), see red arrows, spreads over time and allows one side of the pivot (brass colored piece) to pop out of one side of the plastic handle. Moving the rod as you did will help but it may fail again. The only sure fix is to replace the door handle.
I repaired my handle by removing it and heating it with a heat gun then squeezed it together and allowed it to cool. I then re installed the pivot, lever and spring. Wish I had taken pictures but I honestly didn't expect it to work, but it's been working for a year now.

Last edited by NJ3; 06-15-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Is that white part to the left of the threaded rod an adjustment screw?

Looks like you can turn it to move the rod up and down.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Is that white part to the left of the threaded rod an adjustment screw?

Looks like you can turn it to move the rod up and down.
No, that's just the hinge for the yellow clasp.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
The usual cause is the plastic door handle(blue in your case) that holds the lever(gray piece), see red arrows, spreads over time and allows one side of the pivot (brass colored piece) to pop out of one side of the plastic handle. Moving the rod as you did will help but it may fail again. The only sure fix is to replace the door handle.
I repaired my handle by removing it and heating it with a heat gun then squeezed it together and allowed it to cool. I then re installed the pivot, lever and spring. Wish I had taken pictures but I honestly didn't expect it to work, but it's been working for a year now.
I have read that some needed to replace the handle. All I know is this made my door handle 100% tight and hopefully it stays that way. Replacing a door handle is a PITA.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Menes's GT
1st Gear Member

sweet not i have something to do this weekend haha
Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Just as an added suggestion, when I had to tighten mine, I removed the clasp from the rod completely and threaded a nut onto it so that it wouldn't slip again in the future.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Great tip! Thanks for posting.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Just as an added suggestion, when I had to tighten mine, I removed the clasp from the rod completely and threaded a nut onto it so that it wouldn't slip again in the future.
Damn good idea, I'll be doing that if I have to go back in there again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Loose door handle adjustment