Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010 GT TrackPack Rear End Noise

I did a search on this and came back with a bunch of results but they were all really old threads on issues that seem to have been resolved in newer models. My issue perfectly fits the description of what was being fixed by "clutch pack" replacements and adding of friction modifiers.

My car is a 2010 GT manual with the trackpack (3.73 rear end). I've taken it to the dealership but somehow they are unable to hear this noise at all (maybe the tech needs to turn the **** stereo off!!).

For those not familiar with this issue there is a groan/whine from the rear end while turning. There were TSBs for this on the 05 and 06 models IIRC. Has anyone had this on a newer model Mustang? Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by Napoleon85; 06-16-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Dealerships seem to have a knack for not hearing things . . .
Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Dealerships seem to have a knack for not hearing things . . .
Yeah, they can't hear the rattle in my doors from the stereo either that is a documented TSB. That I can deal with but the rear end noise is getting very tiresome and people are starting to look at my car like "wtf is wrong with that thing" in parking lots and such.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about whine, but I get a weird noise when shifting into first or reverse after the car has been driven a bit. Like a rattle, or thumping noise. Not sure if it's my exhaust or, the clutch or what...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
I don't know about whine, but I get a weird noise when shifting into first or reverse after the car has been driven a bit. Like a rattle, or thumping noise. Not sure if it's my exhaust or, the clutch or what...
I get that too from time to time, although mine is most noticable when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I seem to recall this being discussed many moons ago as being something with the clutch they were using in the early build trackpacks.

My issue is something completely different. I will post a couple threads for reference:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...axle-moan.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ow-speeds.html

I also posted this to make sure this isn't a normal side effect of the limited slip rear-end. I only hear the noise when turning, and the sharper the turn and/or lower the speed the louder the noise is. Since I'm not hearing widespread reports of this (and there are a lot of people with limited slip rear ends) then I am going to assume it's not common and there is an issue that needs addressed.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 PM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

After reading this thread a while ago I went to a parking lot near my house to hear for the noise at first I did not hear it. But after listening a different time after I had been driving for a while I heard the noise. I only hear it after my car is warmed up. Did you figure out what that noise is yet? I would really like to figure out what that noise is! I have approximately 3000 miles on and am already having the noise. It happens after every time my car is warmed up and I am turning slowly. Particularly more when I turn to the left then to the right.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangRider89
After reading this thread a while ago I went to a parking lot near my house to hear for the noise at first I did not hear it. But after listening a different time after I had been driving for a while I heard the noise. I only hear it after my car is warmed up. Did you figure out what that noise is yet? I would really like to figure out what that noise is! I have approximately 3000 miles on and am already having the noise. It happens after every time my car is warmed up and I am turning slowly. Particularly more when I turn to the left then to the right.
My symptoms are identical to that ... I can hear it better after the car is warmed up and more when turning left than right. I'm in a similar mileage bracket ... sitting at 3800 right now but I first noticed this around 2800-3200 miles.

Perhaps it's just a side effect of the limited-slip rear end? I know my Jeep Grand Cherokee makes similar noises turning at low speed if I have 4WD on.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

it is so annoying though and embarrassing. I have this nice *** car and then it makes this stupid noise. I mean the car handled being topped out this weekend at 149mph multiple times without skipping a beat. The damn thing is so solid I just want this noise gone. I want to change the rear differential fluid and see if that helps. Do you think it could have anything to do with the rims we have or the bigger tires? I think I will warm it up and go to the dealer. Have you brought it back since the first time?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

No, I haven't had it back. My job has been taking up all my alloted time for ignorance and stupidity. Once I have some free time I might go fight with them again.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I get a weird noise from the rear (kind of like a whoomp, whoomp, whoomp) but only when I'm turning, and it's only when I turn to the right? It's annoying as hell and doens't make sense. Anybody else have this?

Quick Reply: 2010 Rear End Noise