Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Issue - Aluminum Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood Issue - Aluminum Corrosion

Hey guys,

I was looking under my hood and I have what seemed to be the paint bubbling under my hood. Upon further investigation, it appears that it is Aluminum Corrosion, not rust, but corrosion. The only difference is that rust will eat through a car, where the corrosion will only make your car look like crap. Both suck Ford.

The issue is that Ford will not fix it under the warranty because it is not "rust". They have a warranty for this, but it is only 3years/36k miles. I have a 2006 with 66k miles.

My only options are to buy a new hood ($1200 without painting or installing it) or just have them repaint it for about $900. However, they GUARANTEE that the corrosion will come back if just repaint.

What's worse, Ford knows this is an issue, but won't help fix the issue. Most Mustangs get this issue apparently and its because they use an aluminum hood. But they still make the newer mustangs with this same hood even though they know it causes issues.

Question: Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do? Or where I can find a cheap steel hood that would fit? I hear fiber glass it cheap, but its hard to get it really smooth due to bad molding. Apparently the paint would look wavy? So with all the extra work to make it smooth, it ends up being close to $1000 anyway for fiber glass hoods.

Thanks Guys. I know that is a lot to read.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I would go with something aftermarket. You can get a very cool looking hood for a decent price and have it painted. Probably will cost the same as ford will charge but you will end up with something better looking.

Maybe others can chime in but i dont think you will find a much cheaper option
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Found my bubbles just before the warranty expired. The ford tech asked me what I wanted to do.... I said that I want a new hood. Took some pics, sent them to ford, 2 days later dropped the car off and 3 days later, new hood with fresh paint! I marked my original hood so I knew if they just repaired it. New hood!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't buy a factory hood from Ford. I would either buy an aftermarket hood for around $500-$700, or I would search for a factory takeoff. Tons of members here have hoods just lying around.....I've got mine under my son's bed. For that matter.....I even have the extra cervini hood in my garage. Lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone bought a new hood or got an aftermarket one, that know of a good place to get them at reasonable prices?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I have this problem as well. It's infuriating since it's noticeable from the front and Ford will not do anything. I plan on just getting an aftermarket hood (liking the 3" cowl) from Cervini's or AM
Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Has anyone bought a new hood or got an aftermarket one, that know of a good place to get them at reasonable prices?
I have purchased two aftermarket hoods from Cervinis...each cost $495. I was/am pleased with both hoods. I only replaced the Cervini eleanor hood because I was in love with the cowl hood I have now.

I have a stock hood if you are interested. You are a decent ways away from WV, and shipping is so unforgiving for such a big item. If interested, just let me know. It is performance white in color. Or I have a Cervini eleanor hood, too..
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
I have a stock hood if you are interested. You are a decent ways away from WV, and shipping is so unforgiving for such a big item. If interested, just let me know. It is performance white in color. Or I have a Cervini eleanor hood, too..
Is your stock hood showing any sign of corrosion? What year of hood?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Is your stock hood showing any sign of corrosion? What year of hood?
I never saw any indications of corrosion or defect on the stock hood. It was on my 2006 white gt. It was on the car for about 10-12 months before it was taken off when I had the aftermarket hood put on.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

If I buy another aluminum hood, does anyone know of ways to prevent the corrosion?

Quick Reply: Hood Issue - Aluminum Corrosion