Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats ur feeling on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Default whats ur feeling on nitrous

Well i have kicked the idea around a little bit nothing too serious. I was wondering how safe it would be for the motor if you went to the track about 2 or 3 times a year. Is it worst than supercharging. So lets here your responses
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Is it really worth installing for a couple times per year? I've heard too many horror stories. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

With the technology they have out there today, nitrous seems preety safe. I really thought about it but decided to go with a S/C. If you are just using it for track purposes I say go for it..
Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

yes this is only gonna be for track use. and its not about the money as the previous guy may have been suggesting. I just want ti know how safe it is as i do know everything is not 100% but i would think that if u only use maybe 10 times a year that would ok
Old 06-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I have been running a 100 shot NOS system for 5 years with no issues. I suggest getting a custom nos tune from Brenspeed and cold running plugs. Holley has a nice system which I am using. The Zex system is much more user friendly. If you have the money get a supercharger. No refilling at $3.50 a pound for nitrous.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:20 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

It seems like u hear about sc horror stories alot here but i guess thats b/c more people run sc as opposed to nitrous. I have already checked out brenspeed kits and have been kicking it around. I was wanting some input from the forum members that have used it. Likes and dislikes
Old 06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

One of the biggest reasons why you hear the horror stories about S/C is becasue some guys put them on with out getting them properly tuned. The biggest and most common is running to much boost for your stock internals..
Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I say for every FI "horror" story there's 30 or more success stories. if every supercharged car automatically blew up there would be none of us left look at the horror posts, find out what they did right and what they did wrong then learn from their mistakes. I think you'll find out of the horror stories a very high percentage of them tried to go boost cheap, go cheap on the tune, or go cheap by not running an intercooler.

I think you'll find that people who spent the money on a good brand intercooled kit, like a kenne bell or a whipple for example, with a good tune from a reputable shop, have very low failure rates unless going over 500whp and pushing their luck. over 500whp and it's anyone's guess as to whether it's reliable or not. some people have had good luck, some haven't. up until 500whp though and the motors are pretty reliable.

anyway as far as nitrous I personally don't see any issues with it. by the time you get a good EFI kit with all the extras like bottle heaters, blankets, purge valves, gauges, remote bottle openers, it'll be easy to get around $1,500 worth of stuff. then like Mpaint99 mentioned you're looking at around $35 a fill for a 10 pound bottle. that adds up unless you truly only use the system at the track.

I had nitrous as the main power adder on one of my cars and I was going through a bottle a week. that gets pricey I know for me personally the way I drive nitrous would make me go broke. that's what I think you have to really take a look at, how much it'll get used. for a couple of track events a year then it makes sense. for a car you drive often and want to have fun with a lot then that bottle is always gonna be empty
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

whats ur feeling on nitrous
Quite light headed with a constant wow-wow-wow in the ears....

Had a leaky bottle at the drive-in on a cold night.
What a gas...

Last edited by 157dB; 06-19-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:54 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Quite light headed with a constant wow-wow-wow in the ears....
ha ha, that's what my first post was gonna be but nobody else went there yet

Quick Reply: whats ur feeling on nitrous