Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Dead Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 AM
martingz

manashttu - it is super firm. On their site they have the install documents and you can review how it works. Basically the pedal (which is vary stiff and solid by itself) has long hooks that you drive into the fiberboard and foam block. Just make sure the the pedal is pressed firm against the carpet when you start using a rubber mallet to drive it in (which did take some pretty heavy hits). I looked at the ones that bolt on and I was more worried about them feeling solid - as the support is only from the left of the pedal (and naturally most of the foot weight will be on the right). Also the bolt on seems vary narrow - this one is as wide as the carpet block. My only concern at this point is, will it work itself loose. The hooks had some very sharp barbs to hopefully keep that from happening but I guess only time will tell (or a posting from someone that has already used one of these a few years ago). But as far a solid, since it is actually laying on top of the foam block and driven in to it (you can actually see the carpet on mine in the lower left of the pedal actually being pulled around the edge - this is really pushed into the floor) - is feels very solid.

HypromanGT - you can review their installation instruction online - it is not using tape.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 AM
manashttu

Very cool. Ordered one tonight.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
bomber

I installed the Rouse dead pedal in my '11. Took about 30 minutes. It's dead solid. The only problem I had was getting the carpet to lay flat, and I cured that with a small slit in the backing at the fold point.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
manashttu

I purchased the stangdeadpedals.com dead pedal with just the horse logo for my 2011 GT 6MT. Took about three days from order to delivery. I like it.

The best things about this pedal: 1) its size; it covers the entire raised carpet area; 2) solid feel (related to its size); left foot naturally lands from clutch to the pedal with no give like with the carpet dead pedal; 3) its appearance; looks like it is factory and matches the existing pedals; 4) super easy installation.

As I posted before, I was afraid sitting on top of the carpet would be less than ideal---but Martingz is right. The pedal is wide and tall enough that is does not flex and move with the carpet. Only by pressing directly on the right edge does it depress a bit into the carpet. Otherwise, it feels solid and firm as if it were attached to the structure of the floor.

One thing that I did to slightly modify the pedal: I didn't really like the idea of carpet poking through the cut-out mustang logo. So what I did was take an old black DVD case, cut out a square from the back of the case, then trimmed it to contour with the shaped side of the dead pedal. I taped it to the underside of the pedal as backing for the logo before I installed it. The color perfectly matches the charcoal carpet, and it looks like it was made that way. Now no chance of fuzz poking through.

The shape of the 2010+ mustang dead pedal area must have been slightly reduced in size ---as the dead pedal has a very small bit of overhang at the top right corner. However, it looks fine.

I like this pedal. I'll try to post a photo tonight.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I went to the Ford optional accessories web site and I didn't see a dead pedal in there.

Does anyone know if Ford sells these? Or are we more or less restricted to buying these from aftermarket guys?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Here is mine. You can have these engraved with anything you want. As I mentioned...I am a Humble Pie fan. Ultimate Pedals. I just looked on their site and it does appear they changed the design of the dead pedal.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:19 AM
bomber

Look at some of the after market sites for a dead pedal for the GT500. I've seen one that matches the design.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Risky, as simple and humble as those pedals might look, those look damn good!

What kind of drilling did you have to do to screw in your dead pedal to the floor pan? And what kind of waterproofing measures did you take to keep water spacked up from the road from getting into the screw holes?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

For the dead pedal there was no drilling necessary. The screws just bite right in to the foam underneath. They do not reach into the floor pan. Because of this, while it is definitely secure, you can kind of feel some give to it. I have thought of shaving the foam dead pedal molding down under the carpet and mounting a block of wood to it to make it more sturdy. It's perfectly livable with right now but I will still probably do that.

The other pedals did require actual drilling into the metal plates. I started by dimpling the holes with a punch first, and then drilling. The pedals are secured, as you can see, with the screws and with nuts on the other side of them.