Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need REAL HELP diagnosing this sound PLEASE!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by JDWalton
seems kinda ****ty man, both my mom and I run those BBK and there fitment was perfect from day one. I wish you lived closer, I would give you a hand.

Can you make a video?

Also, the post said it sounds like its comming from behinde the dash. Can you pull your A-pillars off and go for a ride? The dash itself has been know to make some rattles, especialy with all you have done, this could be some of the sound. The normal rub spot is where the A pillars meet the dash. They just pop off. If pulling them fixes the issue then you just need to go to a pharmacy and pick up some mole skin to fix it.

How many miles on the car? Reason I ask is if your motor mounts are worn, that can create a situation where you get a buzz while driving that would be hard to find sitting on a lift. Consider new mounts or a CHE k member brace.

Lay down under the back of your car, I think mine was particaly noticeable on the driver side. Where the hanger is for the muffler (in your case the deletes) how much clearence is there between the rear most hanger and the body. If less then 1/2 inch, you need to bend the hanger or cut off some of the material sticking through it. This made a hell of a racket on mine for a long time, but only after the exhaust was hot, was a pain to find.

Look at where the flange from the header meats the flange from the X pipe. Mine and my moms BBKs sit real close to the frame, like I said before if your mounts are going and the headers are close enough, that can be your source. If it is, you should see the rub spot already where the protective paint is rubbed off and a nice shiny spot is on the frame rail.

Both BBK x pipes we had appear to had been pulled off there jig too fast when welded. That "toes in" the front where the headers sit and the x pipe is too narrow. you need to measure the distance between the openings of the headers and use a hydrualic jack to open up the distance between the openings on the front of the X pipe. If they didnt do this and just stretched it on, its possible that the flanges are tightened against the side load of the fitment, and not acutaly seated on the header.

There are two bolts on those headers that do not fit once the header is in place. They need to be run through the header, then the header slid in. If the shop is lazy, you may be missing bolts. Check and make sure all bolts are in.

Go buy yourself the appropiate sized ratcheting box end wrench for your header stud. I like the one with the swivel head.
for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GM-Goodwrench-7P...item2a086c61cb

after a few heat cylces they need to be re tightened. Then again after a few more. After the first couple times your retighten them, they should stay. But with all headers you should check preiodicaly.

Hope this info helps.
50k mi. on the car.
I will make a print out of your suggestions and give it to the shop owner just as some fyi for him.
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Also JDWalton,

If this different shop does not fix the issue I will make a video of the car from inside and the sound.
I don't have a lift and I have been having back problems lately so jacking it up could be a problem.

If I can find someone else to jack her up and is not too busy during the week maybe I can post a video of the underneath as well.

I am going to print your post though and give it to the shop owner just for some FYI info. for him.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

One more question JD...

If I do have bolts missing... what then?
The place that installed them is 200 mi. away....
And I'm sure they still don't have the bolts.

Do you know what size I would need?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope you get this fixed smoker, we all know how annoying exhaust rattles can be.

i think JD listed at least 5 things that can be causing your rattle or vibration, it's one of the best posts i've seen in months.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by hammeron
i hope you get this fixed smoker, we all know how annoying exhaust rattles can be.

i think JD listed at least 5 things that can be causing your rattle or vibration, it's one of the best posts i've seen in months.

I hope so too.
I am about to literally put my head through a pane of glass.
It is definitely a vibration and it is BAD when it is hot outside or the engine gets warm.
For some reason I just noticed this morning it seems to do it more when the AC is on... or I am just imagining that.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i know you would be able to fix this if you could get the car up on 4 jack stands, but since that is not possible you've got to find a local muffler shop who can assist.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by hammeron
i know you would be able to fix this if you could get the car up on 4 jack stands, but since that is not possible you've got to find a local muffler shop who can assist.
Yeah. I am taking her in at noon.
This different shop is going to look over it for a couple of hours. The shop owner is going to do it himself I think. I don't know why the shop that did the install could not find the problem, especially with me bringing it in twice from 200mi. away.
I'm more than frustrated to say the least about that situation.
They have been nice but bottom line is that I cannot afford to drive 400mi. every week because they are not fixing the problem.

I was gonna take it in at 4 but he asked that I leave it at lunch so he could really go over it. I had no problem with doing that.

My friend knows this guy personally and he is meeting me up there at noon in order to introduce me and go over the whole story.
Hopefully this problem is coming to it's solution.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-12-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well let us know the status when you get the car back
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Will do man, and thanks to you, and JD and the other guys
(you know who you are ), who have been staying in touch with me through all of this... even my initial tune problems.

I appreciate the interest, kindness, and advice that all of you have been giving.

I am so ready just to get this straightened out so that I can enjoy all the new adds I have put on the car and saved for so long to get.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

bring the car over to my place along with a sawsall, hammer and welder and we'll get her fixed right up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need REAL HELP diagnosing this sound PLEASE!