Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need REAL HELP diagnosing this sound PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I would have a hard time beliving that there was something wroung with the headers, especaily if the noise is there at all while the stockers are on. That would tell me the noise is there, just not as bad. I assume if the stock manifolds are on, you also put the stock H pipe back on as well? Let us know how it goes durring the next few hours.

Also, that noise.... just to make sure were not simply chasing a seperator plate vibration. You said low rpm, is it mostly low rpm while the clutch is going in and out? It will kinda hurt you to do this, but when all is cold, start it up then get to about 2500 RPM and ride your clutch alot on take off. not like a full out launch where your gonna be going full thottle as soon as it grabs, but more like your in heavy traffic and tried to get going real fast, but realized you gave it too much gas so you eat it in the clutch. Whenever I get in a simmilar set of conditions to what I just said, I get a very noticeable seperator plate vibration.
No I don't think its like that...
It was happening at that RPM almost no matter what I did. But since my coasting idle was at the RPM that caused it... it caused it to do it constantly once that RPM got down to 1K where it stayed at coasting idle.
Now it is not really doing that at all... sometimes a "tad".
Now it seems to be right at startup and when the car has not been started for at least 30 min.

Again the stock manifolds were NOT put back on.
The longtubes and X pipe are still on.
It's just the mufflers that I switched. From SLP loudmouths to stock mufflers.

Also.. you can hear the vibration most at the 15-24 second area of the video.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-14-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I would really say that sounds like a rattle traveling up the exhaust. Similar to one I am having right now that I need to fix. look where the hangers are. The metal hanger goes up off the exhaust through the rubber part of the hanger on the body. It is hard to see but there IS a ring of metal that is sorrounding the rubber. It REALLY sounds like one of the hangers is tapping the metal. Everything will look fine, unless you look right at it and notice contact. The hanger should go through the rubber, but the vertical piece that sets how far down the section of exhaust hangs, should not be anywhere near it. I'm telling you, go lay on the ground, and look up at the rear most driver side hanger for yourself. snap some pics if you want
Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

The red arrow points to where they used to rub, the two red lines are how much material I sawed off the hanger. The Yellow line, is still not enough distance there. When the exaust gets hot it hits the metal on the hangers. I need to bend the hanger a little bit, check out those spots on your hangers.

Just for a point of reference, that is the back most drivers side hanger. The run mark is on the back side of the rear bumper support.

Last edited by JDWalton; 07-14-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ok I'll check it out.
But.... are you talking about the MUFFLER hangers?

Because this sound and vibration was violent with the SLP's I had.
That last video was AFTER i replaced them with stock mufflers.
That would mean BOTH times the hangers were messed up?

Or are you talking about the hangers for the x pipe connection?
I dont think you are because you said the back bumper support and that is for the muffler hangers.
I didn't think muffler hangers would cause a vibration and noise in the dash..but you are saying it would?

Here is one more video of the sound and vibration.
It is a little better than the first one.

OH and also.. guess what?
I took my car in the dealership to have someone listen to it.
They found a DIFFERENT sound they are concerned about and saying they think this other sound is
a problem with the TRANSMISSION!
I thought it was just the sound of the cams. Here's a link to the thread I made about it and some videos of the sound.
I am having the WORST luck lately!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ease-help.html

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-14-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM
cmrncrick

I am having the same problem you are. I had BBK L/T with an O/R X Pipe installed and now everytime I start the car up cold I have a bad rattle on the front passenger side. If I let the car sit there for a second and idle down it goes away. But here lately it has seemed to get worse! It seems like problem after problem after another problem here lately!!!