Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yeah I hate it when I read someone has wasted their money on those drop in filters. For some reason it just gets me.

I know people should do their own research but I don't like how K&N advertises it.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

I have a JLT intake and when i take the filter off to clean in i put a K&N one on to drive arounf in the mean time becasue it usually takes at least a day to dry and then the oil to set in. Well whenever i put the K&N filter on it does that same thing. Ill come to a stop sign and the RPMs will drop to 500 then back up and sometimes die. I put the JLT filter back on and no problem. So it might be your tune or filter. Have you cleaned it or replaced it? it might be dirty. Good luck
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
Hagwood, just noticed your from Fort Worth, do you have any places that you go to hang out with other stangers.
No, it seems like I'm always to dang busy with something, but I was thinking of joining the North Texas Mustang Club. I've got so many projects going on that I don't have much time for hanging out. Maybe one of these days !
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I had this issue before I installed the Airaid CAI and the Brenspeed tune. However, once I installed the CAI it helped reduce the issue a little, but it did not eliminate it. In a nutshell, nothing has resolved the issue thus far....the mystery continues....
Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on cleaning the MAF and TB before doing anything else. FYI, a K&N drop-in filter is useless with regards to performance. Not only will a good CAI & custom tune provide a substantial RWHP gain, it will most likely resolve your hunting idle issue if the cleanings don't take care of it.
understand that totally, just dont have an extra 500-600 bucks for that mod.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I cleaned my MAF sensor over the weekend and haven't experienced any high idle issues. It happens sporadically, so I am not sure if this resolved the issue or not.
Since cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, the Stang does feel a bit stronger when hitting the gas. =-)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Well, even with cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, I am still experiencing the high idle issue on occasion. How about you?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Had the same issue when I installed the c&l with breenspeed tune. The fix is to clean the throttle body, and clean it very well. If you're inclined, I would clean it with the TB off the car. Go to brenspeeds site and they have a good video of the places you need to get real good. Let us know if this works!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I took the throttle body completely off and cleaned both sides and also cleaned the MAF sensor. The issue is still there.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 07-30-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
mds5062

I am having this problem as well. Actually have my mustang at a Ford dealership now and they told me it was the TB and Injection system causing the problem. What the service dept. told me was they needed to clean the entire system, take off the TB and put it on a pump that will clean it all out. I did not do this because they wanted $360 and I will try myself/cheaper shops to do this.

From reading the posts so far I can tell what to use to clean the TB but not how to take it off, is it easy? Also, to clean the injectors should I just buy the stuff you put into your gas tank or is there a more effective way to clean them? I have limited tools and this is a stock 2006 V6.

Quick Reply: Idle problem?