Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that went from canned/custom tunes to a dyno tune...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default For those that went from canned/custom tunes to a dyno tune...

I'm curious what gains people saw when going from canned or custom to dyno tunes. We all have heard that a good custom tune can be close to a dyno but has anyone done before and after dyno runs going from a non-stock tune to a dyno tune? I've heard of 5-10 RWHP gains being typical on a NA engine and don't have any torque #'s.

Just curious...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I maintain that a good dyno tune will give you more return on a stock tune than blindly slapping on a CAI as many do, there's extra power available from every stock mustang on the lot without getting out the wrenches.

Canned tunes are rarely going to be perfect for a motor, how could they be? And it's not just about power either, you want a tune to be safe for your motor; You often read about canned tunes causing problems on a motor, pinging or whatever. There are many variables in the mix with a motor and the guys who buy tunes often already did other things to the car beforehand which alters the motor requirements in terms of mixture and spark.

Personally I won't ever use a canned tune, I'd rather go the extra mile and get a dyno tune.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

+1...
My canned tuned netted around 300 even give or take an HP had some extra cash and had her custom dyno tuned and the numbers are what you see in the sig !!! HUGE differnce and plus its a piece of mind for me that my engine isnt going to blow ! Not saying that a bama tune or Brenspeed tune is going to do anything wrong ... but a custom dyno tune is such a huge differnce !
Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyask
+1...
My canned tuned netted around 300 even give or take an HP had some extra cash and had her custom dyno tuned and the numbers are what you see in the sig !!! HUGE differnce and plus its a piece of mind for me that my engine isnt going to blow ! Not saying that a bama tune or Brenspeed tune is going to do anything wrong ... but a custom dyno tune is such a huge differnce !
this is exactly why I am dyno tuning my car
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Realize that there is a difference between a "canned" tune (such as one from SCT or Diablo that is fairly basic and works with nearly any car) and a custom tune (such as Brenspeed, Tillman, AM, etc). I could see where there'd be a 20 RWHP difference between canned and dyno since it's not unheard of to have a 10 RWHP difference between canned and custom.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I would be sure the person tuning your car has experience with S197s. He may be knowledgabe with tuning S95s or lightnighs but when it comes to S197s he may be able to tune it but it will be ideal.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I've seen some scary stuff at dyno days. Canned tunes running very lean and very rich. One sct strategy tune was 14.5:1 at wot, that was the worst. Every motor is different and I believe most canned tunes are in the ballpark but verifying the tune on a dyno with a competent operator is a must imo.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyask
+1...
I dont think i had the numbers listed in my sig before the dyno tune. But after the dyno tune it made a huge difference.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Realize that there is a difference between a "canned" tune (such as one from SCT or Diablo that is fairly basic and works with nearly any car) and a custom tune (such as Brenspeed, Tillman, AM, etc). I could see where there'd be a 20 RWHP difference between canned and dyno since it's not unheard of to have a 10 RWHP difference between canned and custom.
I realize that but the guys at brenspeed told me with my car and what it has on it that I would only be making 330whp seems like BS to me

Mods:
my saleen UD pulleys
steeda CMD plates
c&l race intake
detroit rocker cams
LT's and o/r X pipe.

Im willing to bet I make more than that if midnight express made that with less done.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Don't think there is a canned tune for my car. You can get to a point where you don't have a choice anymore. Too many parameters....too much at stake

Last edited by forensicsteve; 07-23-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: For those that went from canned/custom tunes to a dyno tune...