Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint in Northern VA/DC

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

The October trip to the Mason Dixon drag strip will be the best one when the air is cooler and less humid. The DA should be close to nill by then.

Front & Rear

Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM
DRW_Fan

I've done a lot of searching on tint places in NoVA and what i've found is VIP tinting and Contour Tinting (Chantilly) have good reviews.

I am taking my '11 GT to Contour on Saturday morning and will probably do 35% all around.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Don´t remember your car at the April meet!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRW_Fan
I've done a lot of searching on tint places in NoVA and what i've found is VIP tinting and Contour Tinting (Chantilly) have good reviews.

I am taking my '11 GT to Contour on Saturday morning and will probably do 35% all around.
Did you end up getting this done? I want to get mine tinted on Friday and am torn between LA Tint and Contour Tinting. Any details would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
DRW_Fan

Originally Posted by chain1
Did you end up getting this done? I want to get mine tinted on Friday and am torn between LA Tint and Contour Tinting. Any details would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Yea I had it done on Saturday morning. My car plus my GF's Lexus IS350.

So far the tint job looks excellent. I see a few small bubbles, but I know after 7-10 days, that usualy goes away. Even if it doesn't, I am confident the guy who runs the shop will take care of it.

I definitely recommend Contour. The owner was a real down to earth guy that will give you a ton of info on any of his products/services. Prices were right: $189 for the Mustang, $220 for the Lexus (which he did right by removing the door panels due to the tweeter that gets in the way for people trying to tint).

He also made sure to install correctly because of that thing our windows do when you open/close the door. I think he just heats up that area well to increase drying so the slight up/down motion doesn't mess up the new tint.

Besides the tint, my GF also had two door dings removed. You can't even tell they were there. I was amazed at how well that came out. I think he charges around $75 per dent for it. Maybe a discount for multiple dents.

According to him he did another 5.0 the day before.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default !

Originally Posted by DRW_Fan
Yea I had it done on Saturday morning. My car plus my GF's Lexus IS350.

So far the tint job looks excellent. I see a few small bubbles, but I know after 7-10 days, that usualy goes away. Even if it doesn't, I am confident the guy who runs the shop will take care of it.

I definitely recommend Contour. The owner was a real down to earth guy that will give you a ton of info on any of his products/services. Prices were right: $189 for the Mustang, $220 for the Lexus (which he did right by removing the door panels due to the tweeter that gets in the way for people trying to tint).

He also made sure to install correctly because of that thing our windows do when you open/close the door. I think he just heats up that area well to increase drying so the slight up/down motion doesn't mess up the new tint.

Besides the tint, my GF also had two door dings removed. You can't even tell they were there. I was amazed at how well that came out. I think he charges around $75 per dent for it. Maybe a discount for multiple dents.

According to him he did another 5.0 the day before.
Excellent. Thanks! Did you get 35 all around? About how long did it take? I don't suppose you have any pics...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 AM
DRW_Fan

Excellent. Thanks! Did you get 35 all around? About how long did it take? I don't suppose you have any pics...
40% in the front....30% in the rear. Since they come with ~%77 from the factory, it isn't truly 40/30.

It is not as dark as i've had before, but dark enough where it still looks good. If I would do it again, I would probably go 20% in the rear and keep the 40% in the front. I like when the rear window you can barely see through.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Looks great! It does look a bit darker than I expected. I may just go with 35 or 40 all the way around. The last thing I want is a cop tailing me a pulling me over because he can't see through my rear window.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
DRW_Fan

Looks great! It does look a bit darker than I expected. I may just go with 35 or 40 all the way around. The last thing I want is a cop tailing me a pulling me over because he can't see through my rear window.
On my old car which was 20% all around, I was pulled over a few times because of my side windows. I drive the HOV lane on the toll road often and they couldn't see if I had a passenger. Received a tint ticket each time.

Finally I just gave up and made the front/rear sides legal and left the very rear window 20%. Never had a problem again.

Plus the measuring device they had required it to be set on top of the window after being rolled down half way. They need a separate device for the fixed rear windows.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

That's what I'm thinking too. The potential hassle all for another 10% or so doesn't seem worth it. I think I will just tell them 50 on the fronts and 35 on the rears. Thanks for the pics and advice.

Quick Reply: Window tint in Northern VA/DC