Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad AC Odor - Where is interior air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Question Bad AC Odor - Where is interior air intake?

I'm trying to eliminate a musty smell that my AC puts out during the first 5-10 minutes of use.

I have already removed the cabin air filter and sprayed the AC mold killer stuff (I forgot the name) directly into the exterior air intake and I also spray it into each of the interior air vents. This makes it smell nice and lemony for a week or two, but then the odor comes back.

It seems the problem is worse when I use Max AC, which is supposed to recirculate the interior air. Where is the interior air intake? I can't find it anywhere and I would like to spray some of the stuff in there.

Also, why would this continue to happen? My old 1989 Crown Vic beater still has working AC and it never smells, so what would cause a newer car to have this problem? Does the water not drain properly or something?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

In the front of the engine compartent, right behing the battery, you have to take the shroud off, It located RIGHT in there .. here is a pic !
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Yes, this is the exterior intake that I mentioned. I have already removed this plastic piece and the cabin air filter (which is under the cowl) and sprayed the stuff directly into the exterior intake. I sprayed almost a full can in there.

I would like to know where the interior intake is (if there is one) so that I can spray there as well. I would think that when you set it to interior recirculation mode, that it must be bringing air in from somewhere inside the cabin.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

hmmmm NO IDEA !! But i have the same issue and if any one else could chime in that would be great! Yeh i replaced my filter but not before I SOAKED THE BOTCH in frebrezz ! LOL!! Still though ...same issue after a while the inside smells like wet goat ! LOL!! And im **** about the interior of my car being so clean you could eat of the carpets!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Not sure how to fix this but I've read a few times one of the best ways to avoid it is to shut the AC off a couple minutes before your destination and allow the fan to continue running. This is supposed to keep the mold from forming in the first place.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if it has something to do (like what the OP said ) about the water not draining out properly....hmmm ...wish i was home it would make for a neat project to test out !
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

When the vehicle is parked it needs to have the path setting on vent and not turned off, at the very top of the ac path choices. This lets air circulate through the vehicle and through the vents while the vehicle is just sitting.

Also try running your AC on regular instead of MAX and it will have fresh air coming thru, and or drive around with the vents on only and let it air out.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

hmmm good info ! Ill have to try that ! *****bookmarking page *****
Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Mustang#5
1st Gear Member

The internal intake will be at the bottom of the dash on the passenger side. If you got some Fabreeze turned your A/C on max spray in the footwell area towards the bottom of the dash. You will see it suck in. What it is, is that the evaporator sometimes will get mold on the coils. There are ways to clean it, but you would have to take it to an A/C tech. What they tell you is after extended periods of time of running with the system closed, turn the A/C to open the system, shut off the A/C button, turn the fan on high and drive at least one mile to help dry the condensation from the evaporator. I go through this because I live in Florida and use my air almost 365 days of the year. Once a week I do that procedure, it seems to work. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

We used to run the car with the windows up, max AC on and spray shots of lysol into the interior.

Within 15 mins the smell was gone.

If it's really bad it wouldn't hurt to crack one of the windows and tape paper around so you can peel it back and really douse the interior.

Spraying the passenger side and aiming for the floor is best.

It works.