Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my GT fluctuate power? Cats off or on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

wow... i thought it was just me when some days my car felt...slower
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
08SmokedAlloy

On the same page.. my car runs like a stang some days and trots a jackass on others. I know when temp is 60 outside and when its 95 its going to run accordingly. But when its 92 today and 90 tomorrow and there is a noticable difference in performance it has to be ECM related.

no hijacking intended.. but not to start a new tread on a question that was already asked in this one. Has anybody put on hi-flow cats, and if so any more power,sound??

crap, one more thing. If i disconnect the battery to reset the ECM/adaptive learning do i have to reinstall my aftermarket tune?

Last edited by 08SmokedAlloy; 08-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Your aftermarket tune is not affected when the battery is disconnected. However, you may have to reset the clock.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08SmokedAlloy
On the same page.. my car runs like a stang some days and trots a jackass on others. I know when temp is 60 outside and when its 95 its going to run accordingly. But when its 92 today and 90 tomorrow and there is a noticable difference in performance it has to be ECM related.

no hijacking intended.. but not to start a new tread on a question that was already asked in this one. Has anybody put on hi-flow cats, and if so any more power,sound??

crap, one more thing. If i disconnect the battery to reset the ECM/adaptive learning do i have to reinstall my aftermarket tune?
I ran an o/r prochamber for about 2 weeks. With the magnapacks it sounded good at idle and cruising but would trumpet and become a little raspy at higher rpms. Also living in Cali, I was worried about the smell. I added a pair of magnaflow h-flow cats. It gave the car a better tone and got rid of the trumpeting and raspiness. It lowered the volume a little. It is in between the stock catted h and an o/r midpipe, basically a good balance. It also gave me back the low end tq I lost with the o/r prochamber. This was the dyno number w/bama 91 tune and various midpipes. The dyno was not done on the same day but done on the same dyno and the temps were pretty close:

Stock Catted H
298rwhp/309rwtq (rounded avg of 3 runs)

O/R Prochamber
302 rwhp/305rwtq

prochamber w/hi-flow cats
306 rwhp/311rwtq.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
ace555

Originally Posted by gman73
I ran an o/r prochamber for about 2 weeks. With the magnapacks it sounded good at idle and cruising but would trumpet and become a little raspy at higher rpms. Also living in Cali, I was worried about the smell. I added a pair of magnaflow h-flow cats. It gave the car a better tone and got rid of the trumpeting and raspiness. It lowered the volume a little. It is in between the stock catted h and an o/r midpipe, basically a good balance. It also gave me back the low end tq I lost with the o/r prochamber. This was the dyno number w/bama 91 tune and various midpipes. The dyno was not done on the same day but done on the same dyno and the temps were pretty close:

Stock Catted H
298rwhp/309rwtq (rounded avg of 3 runs)

O/R Prochamber
302 rwhp/305rwtq

prochamber w/hi-flow cats
306 rwhp/311rwtq.

Gman you don't happen to have any sound clips or pics of your set up do you?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ace555
Gman you don't happen to have any sound clips or pics of your set up do you?
Here is a clip with prochamber/hi-flows and magnapacks. Not the best quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM4P2oYqlzc
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Heat soak big time. No cats, def louder, some loss of torque, trumpeting and raspyness. For my car, hf s didn't do much. Had to add resonators to lose trumpeting and gain torque and throttle sesitivity back.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I notice my AC makes my car bog off the line unless I really get on it... Just trying to drive normal around town, takeoff is....wait for it... brooom!

Turn off the AC, life is good.

Have you guys tried running with the AC and TCS off? That's become my standard.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boondoggie
I notice my AC makes my car bog off the line unless I really get on it... Just trying to drive normal around town, takeoff is....wait for it... brooom!

Turn off the AC, life is good.

Have you guys tried running with the AC and TCS off? That's become my standard.
In the summer I practically never use AC, and it is a habit of mine to just turn off TC whenever I jump in my car. I thought the adaptive learning was only on newer models, like the 07 or 08's and newer, am I wrong?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The A/C compressor is a real anchor. But at WOT it is disengaged.

For any performance driving, it's a no brainer to have both the A/C and TCS off.

Quick Reply: Why does my GT fluctuate power? Cats off or on?