Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my GT fluctuate power? Cats off or on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
ace555

Default Why does my GT fluctuate power? Cats off or on?

I've noticed ever sense I bought my 05 GT (stock) that some days my car runs better then others. I was just wondering if these cars are known to do that? Also I'm thinking about drilling out the cats will I get any extra power from it? I've read mixed reviews

Mods are

Tuneable Induction intake
cat back x pipe flowmaster
xcal 3 - Breenspeed 93 tune
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Could just be the heat..mines slower on really hot days! it would be easier to just get an off-road pipe rather than messing around with gutting the factory cats, and theyre not that much $$$.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 AM
ace555

ok there isn't a difference between a x pipe and a off road x is there? I was also thinking about just replacing the cats with resonators to cut down on the popping but still keeping it loud. Any HP loss?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

These engines heat soak something fierce. Your sense of power differences may be a result of that.

You may lose some low end torque from losing the cats. Others will confirm (or deny).
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ace555
ok there isn't a difference between a x pipe and a off road x is there? I was also thinking about just replacing the cats with resonators to cut down on the popping but still keeping it loud. Any HP loss?
Usually off road means it has no cats...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM
ace555

Originally Posted by Nuke
These engines heat soak something fierce. Your sense of power differences may be a result of that.

You may lose some low end torque from losing the cats. Others will confirm (or deny).

Interesting ok. Well I don't want to lose any power so maybe I need to look into doing something else - any ideas?

would hi-flow cats be worth my while to get the sound but not losing any power in the process?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

These cars absolutely drive differently day-to-day. I agree with Nuke about the heat soak being a major factor, but I also think there's more to it. Some days it drives like a beast, other days not so much. I attribute it to the "smart" PCM....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Heat definitely adversely affects the power output of these engines as others have noted.
But the owner's driving habits also affect power. Drive conservatively, and it will feel sluggish. Drive aggressively, and it will feel peppier. You can also disconnect the battery for 30 min., which wipes out the ECM's memory of your driving habits and improves performance.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
ace555

Originally Posted by ski
But the owner's driving habits also affect power. Drive conservatively, and it will feel sluggish. Drive aggressively, and it will feel peppier. You can also disconnect the battery for 30 min., which wipes out the ECM's memory of your driving habits and improves performance.

This seems extremely dumb to me! There has to be a tune out there that addresses this issue and will tell the ECM "HEY! STAY AGGRESSIVE WHEN HE FLOORS IT!!"

Doesn'T seem hard to me but I'm not a tuner. maybe someone can enlighten me on this
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some of the tuners claim that their tune eliminates the Adaptive Learning. I, personally, don't believe that it totally eliminates all of the settings that result in poor performance. It certainly is a work-around but if you do it and notice a difference, then resetting the PCM every few months is not that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: Why does my GT fluctuate power? Cats off or on?