Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does 2011 have wheel hop issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

seems like if the suspension was tightened up in back it wouldn't hop as much... is this true????

or am I way off base.

If I nudge in hard from 2000 rpm in first and don't powershift, I get no hop.... this is the first car I've ever felt hop in my life... it is weird, but I heard about it before buying it.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

it's the bushings in the suspension that cause it. the rubber flexes and allows the axle to move.

aftermarket UCA/LCA utilize different material for the bushings. it's alot stiffer and allows virtually no flex to occur. no axle movement = no bouncing, hopping, axle shattering wheel hop.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
it's the bushings in the suspension that cause it. the rubber flexes and allows the axle to move.

aftermarket UCA/LCA utilize different material for the bushings. it's alot stiffer and allows virtually no flex to occur. no axle movement = no bouncing, hopping, axle shattering wheel hop.
Will uca/lca produce a much harsher ride then?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

UCA/LCA won't produce a harsher ride. only new springs and shocks/struts will do that.

they will however create some NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics) since the poly bushings transmit noise where the stock rubber is a noise isolator.

I don't mind more NVH personally for a better ride. some people can't stand it though
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
Don't mean to de-rail your thread, but what exactly is wheel hop? How does it cause trouble in the rain? Just curious (don't have a Mustang yet, but looking to get one).

Thanks!
As others have said, the rubber bushings allow movement of the rear axle and when the wheels break loose, it allows the axle to "hop". It is VERY violent and will destroy the differential if allowed to happen often.

It was one of my biggest complaints about this car and I fixed it very quickly with the aftermarket parts. Sounds like Ford addressed it somewhat with the new car.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

It's totally a geometry issue. At least on the 06's (and from other posts, later years as well).... the axle LCA bracket is higher than the frame LCA bracket. This lifts the axle under acceleration causing hop.

Drop brackets will cure this completely by making the axle LCA bracket lower than the frame. However, this is a "straight line" set up (i.e. drag racing). The current geometry is for carving corners as well as straight line.

I left my geometry stock (love corners). Replaced the whimpy rubber bushings with aftermarket arms. Biggest change was tires. Once the friggin Pirellis were gone, I replaced with Goodyear tripple thread. Minor wheel hop present, but you can power through it. Biggest complaint is that the Goodyears hook too well and it's hard to kick out the back when wanting to have fun!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

After lowering my car (see sig) I cannot induce wheel hop under any condition. Stock upper and lower LCA's. Go figure.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Biggest complaint is that the Goodyears hook too well and it's hard to kick out the back when wanting to have fun!
YOU NEED MORE POWER!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by carguygt
YOU NEED MORE POWER!
True......and income.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Replacing the control arms in my 07 was one of the cheapest but by far the best mods I did. Not sure if I'll have to do it in the 11 yet. I did drive in the rain the other day and did not encounter any wheel hop so, if nothing else, it's better than the 07 was.

Quick Reply: Does 2011 have wheel hop issues??