Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT Clutch Replaced @ 6000k

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Unfortunately, they do not cover the clutch. The dealers (all of them I went to) said the warranties "do not cover things that wear out:wipers, brake pads, air filters, and clutches"
I know stuff like that isn't covered, but if it's a bad clutch and not caused by the owner the manufacture should be covering it.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

the factory would have to do a recall before they would be required to cover it unless its less than a certain mileage...then, they can pull up on the ecu to see how how high and long you were revving the engine up and if its redling, they don't have to cover it. these ecu's in cars now-a-day's tell everything bout the car and how we drive them
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

These ECUs, dont they just record times, such as times between oil changes, milage for the trip & odo?

I read in my manual that the EDR (event data recorder) remains private information and that Ford will not access EDR data unless they obtain your consent to do so or unless there is a court order that legally requires them to get the data (for criminal investigation purposes for example).

Additionally, how long does EDR data stay in the memory? Doesen't it reset when you reset the ECU or any other data?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

These ECUs, dont they just record times, such as times between oil changes, milage for the trip & odo?

I read in my manual that the EDR (event data recorder) remains private information and that Ford will not access EDR data unless they obtain your consent to do so or unless there is a court order that legally requires them to get the data (for criminal investigation purposes for example).

Additionally, how long does EDR data stay in the memory? Doesen't it reset when you reset the ECU or any other data?
Our local Mustang group was having a discussion about this very topic a while back. Keep in mind this is second hand info and I usually don't pass it along unless I have seen it myself but in this case I'm going to pass second hand info because it came from a solid source.
We were told that it only records the previous 30 minutes and that a search warrant is required to access the information.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Really, it all depends on the dealer, if the dealer deems it warranty they can cover it, simple as that!!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Do you ride the clutch on hills? I know some people do this, even people who have driven manuals for years. I doubt it, but like I said, I have seen SOME people do this (mostly old people). I don't need to say it causes a lot of excessive wear.

I would say that clutch disk or pressure plate likely had a defect of some sort. Even if you did slip it all the time, I don't hardly see how you could wear one out THAT fast short of just burning the **** out of it all the time.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately, they do not cover the clutch. The dealers (all of them I went to) said the warranties "do not cover things that wear out:wipers, brake pads, air filters, and clutches"
Spend the extra 2 grand at checkout on the Ford supergold maintenance plan or whatever they call it. Everything's covered on my ride except tires for the next 100K miles. All services, maintenance, everything. Seemed like a no brainer, and it'll keep me maintaining at proper intervals....now that I don't have to come up with an extra 500 bucks to drop it by for service.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

6 million miles already? Very impressive.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
Spend the extra 2 grand at checkout on the Ford supergold maintenance plan or whatever they call it. Everything's covered on my ride except tires for the next 100K miles. All services, maintenance, everything. Seemed like a no brainer, and it'll keep me maintaining at proper intervals....now that I don't have to come up with an extra 500 bucks to drop it by for service.
That plan is not for me. Because in a couple of years of paying down the loan, I will begin to do mods that will wind up terminating my warranty. So for me, the 3/36000 is what I need at most.

I guess for clutch and other parts that wear down, if you are not going to do any mods that void the warranty, the $2000 might be for some other people. I unfortunately find $2000 more for the premium EWP really steep.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ripper Alpha
Do you ride the clutch on hills? I know some people do this, even people who have driven manuals for years. I doubt it, but like I said, I have seen SOME people do this (mostly old people). I don't need to say it causes a lot of excessive wear.
I do that too, mostly because I am getting back to driving a manual. When I get used to the near-instantaneous friction point on Ford clutches, I should be able to get a good smooth launch with no riding of the clutch.

Many years back, when I was driving another stick vehicle, I rode the clutch alot. I never really learned the friction point on its clutch, but I believe the clutch lasted well over 30K miles before it needed to be replaced.

For our much more powerful engines our 'Stangs have, I do hope the stock Ford clutch will last no less than the clutch in my previous stick vehicle.

Back to the OP's clutch problem. If the clutch give out in only 6K miles, even with riding it like crazy, that has to be some other problem. I do not think it is possible to even purposefully ride a clutch and wear it out in only 6K miles.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Clutch Replaced @ 6000k