Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

e-brake cable snapped, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Same thing happened to me on my 06 last winter. I bought all 3 cables from here. The problem with just replacing the front one is that you are not fixing what caused the problem. The TSB related to the parking brake is for the rubber "gromet/seals" on the rear cables where they attach to the rear brakes. They deteriorate prematurely and allow water into the e-brake lines which will then allow them to freeze in the winter. So if you replace the front cable without replacing the rears (or at least the rubber "seals" if that is even possible without changing the rear cables?!?), you'll have the frozen e-brake again next winter.
In my case, my rear brakes had been frozen for some time when the previous owner had the car, enough to wear down the driver's side rear rotor, so I need to do an entire rear brake job (rotors and pads) when I replace the cables before the end of this summer. The stealership wanted just short of $1000 for the cable replacement and the rear brakes. I've spent a little less than $300 so far, and still need to get the front rotors and brake pads. I figured i'd replace all 4 rotors with the new pads and got my rear rotors from newtakeoff.com. My brother has a shop, and will help me with the job/tools for free since it's been about 10 years since I did a brake job and he does them regularly.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Same thing happened to me on my 06 last winter. I bought all 3 cables from here. The problem with just replacing the front one is that you are not fixing what caused the problem. The TSB related to the parking brake is for the rubber "gromet/seals" on the rear cables where they attach to the rear brakes. They deteriorate prematurely and allow water into the e-brake lines which will then allow them to freeze in the winter. So if you replace the front cable without replacing the rears (or at least the rubber "seals" if that is even possible without changing the rear cables?!?), you'll have the frozen e-brake again next winter.
In my case, my rear brakes had been frozen for some time when the previous owner had the car, enough to wear down the driver's side rear rotor, so I need to do an entire rear brake job (rotors and pads) when I replace the cables before the end of this summer. The stealership wanted just short of $1000 for the cable replacement and the rear brakes. I've spent a little less than $300 so far, and still need to get the front rotors and brake pads. I figured i'd replace all 4 rotors with the new pads and got my rear rotors from newtakeoff.com. My brother has a shop, and will help me with the job/tools for free since it's been about 10 years since I did a brake job and he does them regularly.
thanks for the info. For now I am just going to repair the front cable. But before next winter I will change both the rears out. I have been driving the car and it brakes fine and everything so I dont think I will need new brakes.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Marley07

Default Link Dead

That link is dead. Can you repost it?