Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GRANNY MODE!.......have you heard of this?.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default GRANNY MODE!.......have you heard of this?.....

Turn your key to accesories position, and let all your dash board lights go through self check, .....wait 4-5 seconds after they are done (when all the lights go to normal)

With your car engine STILL OFF!!! SLOWLY PRESS the accelerator(gas) pedal to the floor and hold it there a few seconds

..... then let your foot off the gas

.......remove key from ignition....

Start your car......and have fun!........

You might be experiencing "Granny MODE" ........I have tried this trick on my car ...and even show a few other mustang owners in person.....they all seem to experience the difference.....

from 2005-2010, our cars have had an intelligent driving program installed, to maximize fuel economy, after a certain amount of driving time. Our cars LEARN, how a driver drives, and where they drive most often, and auto-tune themselves to maximize economy based on a drivers daily driving habits.

BUT this little trick supposedly resets/recalibrates your throttle response, when your car runs lean at start up. It resets "granny mode" to factory response, allowing a new base-line for our cars to re-learn from.....

NOW, I don't know if this is true, or imagined...but I seem to have much better throttle response at takeoff, and I do a lot of Stop-GO driving.

--So it would make sense .....after a lot of stop-go driving, my car would naturally limit my throttle response on take-off to maximize fuel economy.....Right?(I run 93 performance tune with a C&L CAI .....for the last few years...)

I have tried this trick with several custom tunes(see my mods), and Stock.......with no problems.

You guys try it out and tell me how it works for you?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

huh thats weird, maybe i'll try it out
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

never heard it called granny mode, but this trick has been around for ages. its in the how to/stickies
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on old hat but also never heard it called granny mode. It's also described in the OM, if I recall.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Yes, but is it an old wifes tale or does it really work, or is it is sudo effect?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default granny mode

as I said.....i tried it when I heard about it stock!.........I've added C&L CAI.....and FRPP duals.....I can still feel the difference...

I'm wondering if the baseline Dyno number on peoples cars were off now....that got mods like CAI's and superchargers.......because of throttle response.

I just as you all to try it..........and see if I'm imaging things.....

.....Like I said ...I run a C&L Cai......93 performance tune......I still see improved (in my opinion) throttle response......when I do this....maybe if I ran a race tune....it would be closer to what I feel.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It would have no impact on the dyno, sorry. It does improve throttle response in some cases but it's not the cure-all to the chronic throttle response issues that a good tune helps to resolve.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I see your point Nuke.........but if the car was baseline at the low-point (economy mode) of a baseline tune and a mod like a supercharger, or a cold air intake? with a custom tune....

How could performance not be improved or diminished?....

You would either be lean or rich at the start would you not?....you have to start with the correct baseline, with the parts you have at the time.

I know we're talking minimum numbers......like I said I tried this with and without mods.....so nothing noticeable.....but my foot and back felt it both ways.......so now it has me thinking.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

throttle response would be the issue............tuned or detuned......the baseline numbers on on each case would be the same.....according to driver reaction time......

and mechanics of the car......

I can beat another driver with better throttle response, and better reaction time though!.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it has nothing to due with HP like mentioned. It just resets the learning of the computer basically. On a dyno the engine will produce the max HP it is going to put out, it doesnt take into account your driving style. It may help you get a better jump off the line but when i did it i never noticed the difference to where it mattered at all

Quick Reply: GRANNY MODE!.......have you heard of this?.....