Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What % tint should I get...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
NicD
1st Gear Member

Gotta love California...

"The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

And as bad as the state budget is, they're enforcing. I got hit earlier this year for mine.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
CaliKid
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Unless you want to make frequent "donations" to your local County and State, AND have to pay to have it RE-tinted I suggest you go by what your local/state laws are. The "donation" can be hella expensive, at least it is here in Louisiana.
honestly thought people in cali/west coast said hella..lol
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NicD
Gotta love California...

"The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

And as bad as the state budget is, they're enforcing. I got hit earlier this year for mine.
The poor state of the Cali economy is exactly why they are enforcing. Tickets are a supplemental source of income for the cities, counties, and possibly also the state.

The cost of living is tremendous in Cali, and with jobs being driven out by unreasonable tree-hugger green laws, more and more people are taking lesser paying jobs, but are still stuck with that Cali cost of living. The result is they are spending less for non-necessities, and sales tax are down. People are also leaving and thus, Cali has less people to tax.

I know I am seeing the refugees from Cali come to Texas; they are taking lesser paying jobs, but the cost of living in Texas is way less. For example, to register your car in Texas is only like $75 per year, where Cali can cost $200 per year (more in many cases).
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i talked to a shop today and they said that 25% would be the safe bet...any lower and i might get pulled over...but he said 25% would check out and anyone that has gotten 25% around here that he's talked to has had no problems...so i'm thinking i'll get 5% on the back and 25% on the two front...thanks for everyones help, i really appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I prefer 20% but Maui PD says 35% is all you can do. I have legal doors and 20% illegal rear window. The fine is $200 per window and yes they have been known to issue huge fines. You would think in the tropics they would allow some good tint, 35% hardly does ****. Also the eyebrow up front is a must have, mine is 5% and that is legal since ford has that a1 mark on my windshield.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

I plan to tint my car as well. Here in Ohio it is unlimited in the rear and max 50% on front side windows. Going to call around to see what is recommended so that it is dark, but still easy to see out at night.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I have 10% which is actually 7% all around, but I have a prescription. Never been bothered though

I wouldn't recommend anything darker than 50% on the windshield
Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

I've scheduled an appt. to get my windows tinted this week. Getting 35% front (to stay close to legal) and 15% rear. Will post some pics when it's done. I'm sure it will look great (plus help keep the interior a little cooler).
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Czar22
1st Gear Member

I have 20% and love it. It's just dark enough during the day and I can still see plenty at night. As far as police go..... I've never been stopped. It's really one of those things that if you are driving around and the patrol guys have nothing going on and/or the need to write citations.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 PM
greenhornet923
1st Gear Member

15% is the way to go

Quick Reply: What % tint should I get...