Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my MGW shifter in my 2010 GT today

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Installed my MGW shifter in my 2010 GT today

I decided to do the install of my MGW shifter today since it was actually bearable outside here in Texas. The hardest part with a lowered car was getting the damn thing up high enough to get under it.

I ended up borrowing some ramps from neighbor to get the car in the air and then jacked up up higher with a floor jack and put jack stands under it. I still had only a bit of space to work in. the car was maybe 4 inches off my chest when i was under it.

The disassembly inside a 10 is completely different from what the MGW video shows for the 05-09 cars. The 10 is actually easier, but you cant just grab the shift boot and pull it out from the top like the video shows for older cars. There are also no screws keeping the center console in the car, its all held on with tabs. You just open the console, grab the little gap between the front of the console lid and the cup holder and start pulling.

Removing the 10 shift boot is a bitch though. It has all these little flaps that are really hard to get to and the shift boot is attached directly to this plastic rectangle and it can only be removed once the center console is out of the car. It took me longer to get that off than most of the other parts of the install. You also can't install the 10 shift boot backwards like the video says because of the way the plastic rectangle is made onto the boot. It works just fine like the factory is made.

Once that was done i crawled under and went to work. Under the car things go just like the 09 down video and it was easy even if tedious because there wasn't much room to work.

In all it took me about 3.5 hours to do. Putting the black dust boot back on was no fun i ended up getting back under the car to be sure it was seated correctly.

I set it at 7 turns out and that seems to be perfect. the sifts aren't too notchy and the throws are very short. I accidentally bumped it out of second messing around tooling down the road and it damn near went into third on its own. Hitting third under hard acceleration was a bitch a lot of the time with the factory shifter and the MGW seems to have fixed that.

The shift handle is a lot taller than the factory handle, maybe an inch. It's not bad just different. In all I really like it, I am glad i got it installed and saved myself about $100 after buying the jack and tools needed for the job. No extra noise or anything after driving a bit. There was a rattle for a while for about a block down the road. After a few runs through the gears that stopped. I assume the rattle left after the giant globs of grease the shifter was packed with spread all out. At 7 turns the throws are about as short as the roush 427r with the roush short shifter i drove, but minus all the notchy feeling that roush shifter had.

Last edited by ShaneM; 09-03-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You know you can adjust the height of the shifter too right?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That's right.
You have all kinds of adjustments on that shifter.
The only thing it won't do, is making you a sammish, lol.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
That's right.
You have all kinds of adjustments on that shifter.
The only thing it won't do, is making you a sammish, lol.
The ten shifter isn't height adjustable it was redesigned for some reason.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You're ****tin me?
Why would they take away that feature?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
You're ****tin me?
Why would they take away that feature?
Someone obviously jumped up and down on them a little too much, lol.

Seriously, it could be saving costs in manufacturing.
Making the shifter simpler.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by pascal
Someone obviously jumped up and down on them a little too much, lol.

Seriously, it could be saving costs in manufacturing.
Making the shifter simpler.

BUT BUT BUT BUT!!!!, This is one of the reasons people were so attracted to the shifter... even though it might have saved some manufacturing costs don't you think they would lose more money from people maybe going to a different shifter since the options were taken away and they might think there was little difference in the brands now ... other than price?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's a gamble you have to take, because jacking up the price on that (already expensive) shifter would cause its death IMO.
Being a very reputable product, helps pull it off.
Now, I could be totally wrong of course, they might have another valid reason.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i think it had soemting to do with the design of the new lower center console. there is no room for the shifter to go any lower in there. I guess they coudl hav emade a shorter shift handle. You can still adjust the angle of the **** though if you want. As i said, th eheight is fine, just about an inch or so taller than stock.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i think it had soemting to do with the design of the new lower center console. there is no room for the shifter to go any lower in there. I guess they coudl hav emade a shorter shift handle. You can still adjust the angle of the **** though if you want. As i said, th eheight is fine, just about an inch or so taller than stock.
Yeah, makes more sense then.
I can't be of much help, since I'm not familiar with the 2010+ all that much...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed my MGW shifter in my 2010 GT today