Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aint got no traction, aint got no sole

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default Aint got no traction, aint got no sole

so right now, Layla's got about 35k on her, which means I gotta get her tires for her birthday

right now she's on BFG 235/50ZR18s, but I'm thinking I'll get 255s

these'd be DD tires, so dont recommend me any slicks or whathaveyou

also, I'm a poor twenty-something, so I'd like something thats not HOLY**** expensive

so recommend away!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i went with Falken fk452s on my last mustang and loved them. nice price, sticky, and they lasted long. in a few years when my stock T/A KDWs wear out, i am going to grab the Falkens again.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

I really like my BFGoodrich g-force KDW's, and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

What ever you decide try to remember the American workers! Buying something made in China or Japan will not help our economy 1 bit. Just my 2 cents!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
so right now, Layla's got about 35k on her, which means I gotta get her tires for her birthday

right now she's on BFG 235/50ZR18s, but I'm thinking I'll get 255s

these'd be DD tires, so dont recommend me any slicks or whathaveyou

also, I'm a poor twenty-something, so I'd like something thats not HOLY**** expensive

so recommend away!
you can get some 255 Eagle F1 Supercars for about 160 each at tirerack.com. VERY good tire for the money. Most complaints on them come from people trying to run them in too cold conditions, but your avatar says your in tampa, I think they would do fine.

EDIT:
Correction, they have lowered the price to 128 each.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RCAR&tab=Sizes

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-05-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

oh yeah, also: whats the actual difference between Summer and All Season tires? from what I understand, they are pretty much the same in wet conditions, and i dont really get ice and stuff down here

also, thanks JD
Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Nitto 555's are a good all around cheaper tire.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

If you plan on owning your car for a while longer, I would suggest buying the absolute best tire you can afford. I've owned 53 cars and I've finally learned my lesson. Tires are not the area to skimp. Cheap tires will likely be loud and rough riding. I would consider anything from either Nitto or Michelin. Cheap tires will make you enjoy your car less on every level and what good is that?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
oh yeah, also: whats the actual difference between Summer and All Season tires? from what I understand, they are pretty much the same in wet conditions, and i dont really get ice and stuff down here

also, thanks JD
Summer tires loose a lot more of there performance characteristics as compared to all season, as the temperature declines. I live in Connecticut, so in mid spring to mid fall, my Supercars do very very good. Especialy when you consider price. However durring the colder months, like anything below average temp of 50, they dont do so well. Not to say you cant, i have driven them in the dead of winter also. But with over 500 HP and 4.10 gears, its alot to ask a summer tire to get you good traction at 40 degrees.

As for what the other guy was saying about cheap tires, these are normaly like a $350 a piece tire, I dont know why tirerack sells them so cheap. There the same tires that come stock on a GT500
Old 09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Summer tires loose a lot more of there performance characteristics as compared to all season, as the temperature declines. I live in Connecticut, so in mid spring to mid fall, my Supercars do very very good. Especialy when you consider price. However durring the colder months, like anything below average temp of 50, they dont do so well. Not to say you cant, i have driven them in the dead of winter also. But with over 500 HP and 4.10 gears, its alot to ask a summer tire to get you good traction at 40 degrees.

As for what the other guy was saying about cheap tires, these are normaly like a $350 a piece tire, I dont know why tirerack sells them so cheap. There the same tires that come stock on a GT500
Tirerack drops the prices to move them out when a newer designed replacement is in the works by the manufacturer.
Now is the time to grab a bargain!

Eric

Quick Reply: Aint got no traction, aint got no sole