Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny and Short throw install??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Tranny and Short throw install??

I am ordering my MGW shifter today. I looked at the install video and it says to loosen the transmission plate and allow the tranny to drop about an inch so you can have more room to work.

My question is, is this dangerous to do in any way? Does the trany need to line up in a a certain way other than just tightening the four bolts from the tranny plate? I am a little nervous about messing with the tranny in that way.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

It's only dangerous if you remove the bolts all the way and your under the tranny. Like the video says there is sound deadner in the transmission tunnel on the 2009's that makes the bolt that goes bolts to the side of the trans. a pain in the a$$.
I didn't do that and had that bolt in and out 3 times because I thought I was cross threading it and I also used LocTite on it but it came loose eventually.
After I found it was loose I loosend the trans. cross member and put the bolt in and it was 10 times easier. Another thing you can do to make the install easy is disconect the driveshaft from the trans. gives you more room and you can see easier.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

So I wont mess anything up if I just loosen the cross member and then tighten it up again? I dont want to throw the trans out of alignment (if thats possible). Just a bit nervous about messing with the trans as Ive never done it before.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

No, you won't throw anything out of alignment by doing that. Leave the shifter mounting bolts a little loose and tighten the trans. cross member up. Then tighten the 3 shifter mounting bolts the rest of the way.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I installed a Hurst...and then an MGW (when I discovered the Hurst was a POS ) on my 08 and I never loosened the transmission mounts. Like atomicpunk said, the deadener makes it a PITA but it's do-able without dropping the tranny or even removing the console for that matter.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Giant tip fwiw put the rubber boot on the MGW before you drop it in. It was a kinda a pain on the bench can't imagine trying to do it in the car
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GlassVapor
Giant tip fwiw put the rubber boot on the MGW before you drop it in. It was a kinda a pain on the bench can't imagine trying to do it in the car
Yeah I was planning on doing that. MGW actually recommends doing it that way in the video.

OK its ordered so we will see how this goes. Anyone know how long MGW takes to ship with standard shipping?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Got mine quick, 3 days to Northern IL
Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

How many turns do you guys run your mgws at? I tried 6 and I don't really like the feel at all
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I never had to loosen the tranny for shifter install yet...
Then again, I never installed the MGW.

For ease of reinstall and safety, I'd use 4 inch long bolts (if possible) to go in place of the OEM ones.
Go one at the time of course...
That makes re-aligning the support a breeze

Quick Reply: Tranny and Short throw install??