Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
That's a great idea, I've not been able to find any videos that capture it well either. I'll see if I can get mine out this weekend and capture the sound/vibe.

A note though, there are definitely two kinds of vibrations prevalent. What i have feels NOTHING like tire out of balance, it's not a wobbly shake your mirrors kind of vibe. It's much higher frequency, imagine a bass box hitting a long low note, it's audible, its a resonance in the frame of the car VERY similar to exhaust drone only its not drone. It's a buzzing kind of vibe not a shaking kind.

I'm not sure how well it'll capture on video but I'll certainly make an attempt. So what about you Saunupe1911, yours the shaky kind or the buzzy kind?

Tim
I really don't have any crazy vibrations. I have an extremely subtle vibration but its really just a combination of the V8 rumble and exhaust. It seems normal to me because I've never rode in a car that was dead still except for a Prius.

The one thing that annoys me is the door plastic. The plastic vibrates and distorts the sound coming out of the top speaker when there is heavy dialogue, like when listening to ESPN radio . It definitely needs more insulation. I thought I busted the speaker at first but the bass still hits hard and the distortion only happens on certain songs or stations. It doesn't happen when their a passenger because of the weight on the seat and door. Cheap quality IMO. That's the only real gripe I have with the interior but of course it can easily be fixed at your local stereo shop.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I started noticing this same vibration on my car recently - I'm so relieved it's not all in my head, haha!

I first noticed it in the gas pedal, which led me on a wild goose chase to figure out if it was engine-related...luckily I didn't find anything wrong. When I change out my tires here in the next few weeks I'm hoping the problem goes away.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saunupe1911
I've never rode in a car that was dead still except for a Prius.
Dead is right! Those things will suck the life right out of you if your not careful.

Tim
Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hey everyone,

If you are alarmed at the noise level or vibrations in your Mustang, I recommend visiting your dealer to see if they can quiet it down. Please let me know if they are unable to ease your concerns so I can assist.

Originally Posted by boss hoss
Company I work for bought a new ford pick-up and it had vibrations at highway speeds.. They found that the tires were bad from sitting on the lot in the same spot for so long...Florida heat is a killer!!
That Florida heat can be rough on cars, can't it??

~Natasha
Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar slight vibration on my 09 that I couldn't figure out. I had the tires replaced, road force balanced, etc, and everything checked out, and still had the exact vibration. The vibration was very subtle but was accompanied by an annoying resonance which was most painful at 70 mph. I noticed that the vibration and drone was not RPM related, was not caused by the exhaust, and varied slightly when someone else was in the car. I assumed that it was drive train related and left it alone.

Fast forward a couple of years, a few weeks ago I installed the Roush suspension kit. I'm very happy with the kit, but one nice side effect is that my vibration/drone is now gone! I'm guessing that the kit is causing a slight change of the driveshaft angle, which gets rid of that annoying vibration and the related drone.

So I got an awesome suspension kit, car looks great with the new stance, and the vibrations are gone.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

2012 V6 here and I have the same vibrating. My passenger seat has a nice shake to it around 70mph+ quite annoying. I also hear a slight noise coming from my rear passenger side when i am going slow as if something is rubbing. But there is nothing rubbing. Vibration happens with and without my aftermarket wheels, I'll be going to the dealer in the coming weeks
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by livinloud98
2012 V6 here and I have the same vibrating. My passenger seat has a nice shake to it around 70mph+ quite annoying. I also hear a slight noise coming from my rear passenger side when i am going slow as if something is rubbing. But there is nothing rubbing. Vibration happens with and without my aftermarket wheels, I'll be going to the dealer in the coming weeks
I had no rubbing sound whatsoever in mine. Everything was quiet except for the drone + vibration at 70 mph. I went to my dealership initially but after they failed to fix anything when checking my wheels and tires, and scratched my hood in the process, I stayed away from them as far as I could.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 PM
2012_FM_GT

I got a 2012 GT with 13.5k and I have the same issue. I wasn't able to tell at the beginning cuz I was with the music on and windows down, but with the windows up and no stereo there is this annoying vibration and I can see how the passenger seat vibrates. I went to the dealer and the tech and I went for a drive test but the road were so bumpy that he couldn't tell...Tomorrow I will go to another dealer to see if I have better luck.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2012_FM_GT
I got a 2012 GT with 13.5k and I have the same issue. I wasn't able to tell at the beginning cuz I was with the music on and windows down, but with the windows up and no stereo there is this annoying vibration and I can see how the passenger seat vibrates. I went to the dealer and the tech and I went for a drive test but the road were so bumpy that he couldn't tell...Tomorrow I will go to another dealer to see if I have better luck.
Take it from me, just turn the radio back up and put the windows back down.

Tim
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Clipper

I took my 2012 GT 'vert (with about 2400 miles on it) to the dealer yesterday to have a vibration/shimmy looked at. It's done this since I picked it up but I figured it might settle down as the tires got some miles on them but it didn't.

They re-balanced the wheels but no real improvement so I did some research and came across a few threads on this issue with owners doing multiple balances, tire and wheel swaps, driveshaft work etc but nobody seems to have the solution. I read that the EPAS is suspect but nothing definitive has been determined.

I love my Mustang but this vibration is really starting to annoy me and I need to get it fixed so I'm wondering if anybody has found the solution since the last post in this thread?

Quick Reply: Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...