Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deka ETX14 Battery Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Default Deka ETX14 Battery Review

Hi Everyone!

So it's been a month now that I've been running my lightweight Deka ETX14 battery. I shaved 20 lbs off my front end with this mod - 11lbs vs. 31lbs stock battery. 210CCA for those interested.

For sure, I did a TON of research on this (other popular choices are the Oddysey, Braille, and Genesis brands) as it seems to be pretty popular with import tuners, VWs, and BMWs, as far as my search has uncovered. If you have an inkling for something like this, I'd google "lightweight car battery" and do some reading to get some idears.

With this, I've taken ~50lbs off the front of my car in addition to another 50lbs off the rear. 100lbs is definitely noticeable in handling, braking, and acceleration!

Verdict so far? As long as it's a DD, it's not a problem, and this seems to be holding true for me. If it's a weekend car, this is no bueno as the batt WILL die fairly rapidly if not under daily alternator care.

Now I live in SoCal so it's not exactly winter in Windom, MN but she starts every time. To be honest, it's almost like she turns over easier now but could be imagination?

(FYI, another EASY diet mod is removing the 10lbs of rear axle weights; and spare tire and jack? Can of Fix-a-flat.)

My next mods are BMR K-Member (save 20lbs) and Steeda Rad Support (save 10lbs). Tell ya what? I'm liking owning a stang muwahahahahahaaaaa!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Forgots. Here's where I bought the batt and adapters:

Battery - http://www.tristatebattery.com/produ...roducts_id=975

$65 bucks out the door!!!

SAE Terminal Adapters - http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-sae-terminals.html

$12.95
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definitely something I would have considered if I tracked or motorX'd. There have been a few prior threads and yours adds some useful info.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 grimlock stang
(FYI, another EASY diet mod is removing the 10lbs of rear axle weights; and spare tire and jack? Can of Fix-a-flat.)
True, but the undesired side effect of the rear end raising up a little higher giving back the "raked" look. =(

Although, it is nice to shed weight.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what started my diet plan for the car as it sees little track time too (little as in like 2X to the track; one was a 1/4mi; other was a 1/8 mi), but I guess it's just my natural tendency to want to tinker with $***, but there's definitely a feeling of satisfaction in getting to know my car more and making it mine and unique with each little tweak. I've always had big full size V8 trucks (my Yaris was a side idea in hypermiling :S and another story) so this V6 stang is like night and day to what I'm used to and a pleasant surprise

I've never wanted to keep a car, but this V6 pony is just the funnest time I've ever had in a vehicle so the modding continues! But Sheesh! It was sure cheaper when all I tinkered with were Tamiya 1/10 RC cars :*(

Unleashedbeast, yeah I've noticed that too The car just seems more nimble after removing all that weight it's hard to go back. BTW I have a great buddy just south of me in San Diego who's from Pensacola. My parents live in Picayune, MS just off I-59 (off the I-10 by Gulfport). Needless to say, we were just 2 good ol boys going back and forth LOL Now we're both in SoCal under independent circumstances who'd of thought right?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I travel to Gulfport to visit a friend frequently.

I've been reading into the lightweight battery mod, as I drive my car daily and don't have any aftermarket stereo or any other high current demanding electronic devices. The goal for my car is moderate HP with a twin screw SC, but kick their butts in the weight department. They might have more power, but I want the weight and handling advantage.

I've even considered ditching the nice 6 way power leather seats for some Corbeau buckets. That would kill some serious weight.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

i've heard really good things about braille batteries...their tech is phenomenal....6 lbs for a battery...cmon!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

You know what I've found Cal26Stang? It seems from what I've read that Braille batteries are made by Deka; yeah go figure. Deka is like one of 3 remaining major battery mfg's left in the US and builds batteries to be sold under other names.

I chose the Deka over others because if their batteries are good enough for stock car teams, it's good enough for this average joe LOL.

Some good discussion threads:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ormation/page3

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=925664&page=2

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18503

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...0Car%20Battery

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321...-2015-a-78540/

The above provides some really good reading on the subject by people who actually done the mod
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

so what and where are the 10#'s of axle weights?? 100#'s would make a huge difference. when I give someone a ride in my car I can always tell big time that there is alot more weight in the car, 100#'s should be easily felt.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're looking for a single, 100# item you might as well forget it. It's those 5#'s here, 10#'s there that will really add up. And if you're comfortable with the Deka battery, then what better place to start.

^5

Quick Reply: Deka ETX14 Battery Review