Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Charger Installed, minor problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default X-Charger Installed, minor problem

Ok guys, after a lot of hard work, the X-charger is finally installed! Pics, videos, and dyno coming soon!

When we started it we had one problem, though. One of the cylinders was misfiring and it was pretty evident. We checked everything, reset the battery, and reinstalled the tune. Things got better as the car idled for a bit and got adjusted. We think it may be linked to one of the spark plugs not going in all the way, because it's on the same side. The spark plug felt tight, but wasn't in as far as it should be. Also, when idling the RPMs are right under 1k but bounce up and down in the 800-900 range. Hopefully all of this is minor stuff that is related to that spark plug. I'm taking the car to Injected Engineering tomorrow to have them look over it. Other than that, I'm loving the increased speed and whine!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM
JimC

Make sure that you have the spark plug wires fully seated and in the correct order - it is easy to get them out of order with the Xcharger diagram - and if it isn't fully seated on the plug it will mis fire.

Also, I wouldn't get on it and go into boost until you have the spark issue figured out
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats on the x-charger, look forward to seeing it
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the X ... that's what I had on my Previous S197 ..... The collective website has lot's of knowledge on the X. Make sure your wires are connected well and firing order is correct since everything gets swapped at the coil pack.

Cross-threading #5 cylinder was a big problem on the 4.0's ... definitely a factory defect with that spark plug hole ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE30buMF8Rw
Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Congrats on the X ... that's what I had on my Previous S197 ..... The collective website has lot's of knowledge on the X. Make sure your wires are connected well and firing order is correct since everything gets swapped at the coil pack.

Cross-threading #5 cylinder was a big problem on the 4.0's ... definitely a factory defect with that spark plug hole ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE30buMF8Rw

Yeah, it's the number 5 cylinder (middle of driver side)! The spark plug feels tight, but when you look down there, it's not all the way in and we can't get it to go in. Is that why my car is misfiring? I'm going to go over the spark plug wires, but they should be right. Injected can't see the car until next Friday...I'm really worried about driving it...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Alloy, let me know when we can meet up!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Like I said ... lots of guys had issues with #5 cylinder. Once it's cross threaded .. it's hosed. I just strong armed it all the way in once I figured I cross threaded it (it's aluminum so not hard) .... It's a brand new plug so should last 50K miles .... just remember you will need to fix the head during the next spark plug change. I traded the car in so it's no longer my problem.

I wouldn't try to remove it now or you gonna have to fix it now. I also wouldn't drive it until you have it all the way in or you could risk a detonation or something under boost and that would not be good.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Wow. Bummer.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

So just try to muscle it in is the only option really?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
So just try to muscle it in is the only option really?
I supposed you could try to remove it and fix the threads ... I think Snap-on sells a thread chaser that actually works from the inside out so no crap falls into you cylinder.

Will it come out fairly easily or you haven't tried yet ??

The plug needs to be fully seated into the combustion chamber or it's not gonna run right.

Also ... when I say "muscle" .. I don't mean I was standing on the ratchet to get it in .. but I did definitely apply much more torque to the plug than should have been necessary to install it. If the plug won't budge then your bad threading may be worse than mine was.

Last edited by dmhines; 09-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: X-Charger Installed, minor problem