Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is real crap right now....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Car is real crap right now....

This week has been the worst week i have ever had with my car. To start off, I installed Gt500 fuel pumps about a month or two ago. Car has run great but ever since the install, my shaker 500 would almost always be on. Everytime i open the door to the car, i could hear the cd drive moving around to find a cd or it trying to read a cd when there IS NO cd inside. Then it will say CD ERROR. I couldnt figure out this issue and so i let it be and learned to deal with it.

Now this week as i am driving the car to pick up a few snacks, everything was normal and under normal driving i press the throttle slightly and it reach 2k rpm and let off so the computer would shift(auto) and as it shifted, i suddenly couldnt hear my car anymore and watched the rpm drop down to 0. The car died out and luckly i rolled into a parking lot. I cranked it a couple of times and it started up. I was alarmed of this though there i could think of that could have caused this. That wa sthe end of that, or so i thought.

Now today as i was driving to pick up my little brothers, the car shut off again!!!! I was in the turning lane so luckily i was able to sit in the busy street without getting honked at for like a minute or two. Cranked it several times and still nothing. Let it set for a while then cranked it again and it was barely able to start, but i was glad it did.

WHen i got home tonight, i checked all wiring and disconnected the fuel pump power supply and reconnected it. As i was doing this, i hear a loud pop from the driver side of my car. I look over and didint see anything. and later found out my window is acting stupid now!( i guess a motor blew) When you have a mustang coupe and close the door, the window automatically moves up a little to create the seal, and now my car wont do that!

Back to the fuel pump part, after everything was reconnected, i tried to start the car. It would turn over, but never start. So i immediately thought i blew the fuel pump relay. So i replaced it, and it still wont turn over! I move the fuel pump power supply wire around and THEN my car wants to start. SO im am baffled to why this is all happening even though the power wire was secure and now the car starts with a hesitation and takes a longer crank time to start the car. Also When you start the car after it has been sitting for more than an hour, it will BARELY turn on and the lights and gauges take an extra second to light up. This is really bugging me and i dont even know where to begin. Bad spark plugs? Bad battery? Something wrong with my fuel pump? WTH is wrong with my window? Bad alternator?

Some one please help point me in the right way. Thank you
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

this might sound like a stupid question , but u did run a new independent relay for the new pumps ? and did you use 8-10 gauge wire for the power wire ?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

The hard-starting after sitting a while does sound like a bad battery to me. I had a similar experience when my car was new and came with a bad battery (had been sitting on the lot several months before I bought it).
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Go to autozone and have your battery and alternator tested. I just replaced my battery this past weekend and it was only 2 years old, which seems like a short life for a battery. I tried starting the car and it would not crank over. I checked my lights, which were very dim, and that is a sign that the battery is about dead.
Good luck to you!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Fords do weird stuff when the alternator is going out.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

EDIT: I re-read your post. Thought you said it would turn over, but not start. Sorry I misunderstood.
You really need a multimeter to check the battery at rest and the system voltage when the car is running.

Original Post:
Mark had the same problem with his and it was a loose ground for his fuel pump. It would sometimes have a good connection and then poof die and not restart. Would definitely check that.

A lot of various things can cause those symptoms, but since you and Mark have the same setup now, I would def. check the fuel pump wiring in all areas.

On another note, the shaker is crap. I fixed a lot of my electrical issues getting rid of that thing.

As far as the window, you know the reset feature? Roll it up and hold the switch up for several seconds.

Last edited by thedrod; 09-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I would look to your battery first, especialy if its tock. Batteries can lead to all sorts of electrical gremlins, and you sound like you got your share.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

When my battery was on it's last legs and dying the gauges would do some weird stuff once in a while. I'd look into that.

Oh and replace that shaker, aftermaket ftw
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Oh and replace that shaker, aftermaket ftw
^win^
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

hey everyone thank you all for your help. I actually just took the car to the dealer and they fixed everything for me minus the radio because had to go and their tech comes in at noon... But yeh you guys were right. The battery was reading only 10.1 volts, so they replaced my battery.

As for the car dying on me in the streets, turns out my gt500 power wire to the battery was crimped in a spot and when the car hits a hard pump, it would cause the power to shut off to the fuel pump and the car would die. I was lucky this never happened at WOT!!!

As for the window, dealer couldnt figure it out. The car fixed itself with the window issue because its cool like that

TURBO 2.8 :

I diidnt change anything with the gt500 fuel pump i bought. I just plugged it right up so im not sure what gauage wiring is used but no independent relay was used.

Quick Reply: Car is real crap right now....