Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage on the 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
sounds like you should've bought a bike
I already had a bike.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
JimR1

I have an auto and drive a lot of x-ways so my milage has never been below 20 MPG. I don't cruse at 50-60 either I usually maintain about 85 on I95 in Northern Florida.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
I already had a bike.
Hahah exactly.

To clarify, the point of this thread wasn't to cry about not getting wondrous mileage, it was just to get a feel for what other people are seeing, just making sure nothing is wrong.

I'm currently trying my best to baby the car until I get 500 miles under its belt and then I can really let 'er rip
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by JimR1
I have an auto and drive a lot of x-ways so my milage has never been below 20 MPG. I don't cruse at 50-60 either I usually maintain about 85 on I95 in Northern Florida.
Than thats not so much in city driving as it is highway driving. I can't say much cuz i don't own a 2011 GT but when I asked the dealer what the in-town mpg was he said between 17-18 & between 22-23 on the highway. Idk how true that is but just thrown it out.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If u do alot of city driving a gear swap would help out with ur mpg and improve it
Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by outceltj
If u do alot of city driving a gear swap would help out with ur mpg and improve it
What are you talking about? hahaha... 3.73's are about 12% steeper than the 3.31's. That said you should see a reduction in MPG by about 12%. Im not sure about 4.10's. No if your looking for better MPG get a sct or diablo handheld and get your stang tuned.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
gspyer@yahoo.com
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Be sure you're resetting the on-board at each fill-up in order to get the most up-to-date data. If the on-board is anything like the ones in the 05-10's, it's off to the conservative (high) side by about 1-2 MPG. 15.8 is a bit low but could be normal for largely stop-and-go driving. Do a fill-up and then hop on the interstate for about 100 miles and see if that boosts the average by the next fill-up.
Atleast on the 3.7, after 1000 miles, the car computer will report the mileage low. When I hand calculate it after a fill-up, including squeezing the fuel pump 3x times after the click to make sure it is super full, I always end up with 1-2 MPG over what the computer says.

For your reference, I modded my 3.7 a bit for MPG. In heavy city traffic, the computer reports that I get 21 MPG. In ideal city traffic, only hitting every 3rd or 4th red light, I get 24-ish MPG according to the computer.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
What are you talking about? hahaha... 3.73's are about 12% steeper than the 3.31's. That said you should see a reduction in MPG by about 12%. Im not sure about 4.10's. No if your looking for better MPG get a sct or diablo handheld and get your stang tuned.
Not entirely accurate.

With stop and go driving, steeper gears MAY help your mileage slightly. The torque multiplication of higher (numerically) gears means that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the car moving from a stop. This is why steeper gears give LOWER readings on a dyno. Not because there is power, but because less power is needed to accomplish the same results (moving the dyno roller).
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Not entirely accurate.

With stop and go driving, steeper gears MAY help your mileage slightly. The torque multiplication of higher (numerically) gears means that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the car moving from a stop. This is why steeper gears give LOWER readings on a dyno. Not because there is power, but because less power is needed to accomplish the same results (moving the dyno roller).
It is soo slightly that you wouldn't notice it.... i have heard (far and few inbetween) about improvements that were less than 1 1/4 mpg better. Not to discredit what you then said thereafter in your post. But your arguement is liking argueing over what is the perfect shade of red in the color spectrum. You guys are making it sound like your going to get a darastic mpg increase, which isn't the case. If anything is gonna get you better mpg itll be a good tune.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
onegoal
Banned

Living on campus which cost even more a year, and you can afford a new GT? Yet when I post I want to buy a new GT people rip me a new one and say I dont need one while in college.

Quick Reply: Mileage on the 2011 GT?