Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think the 2011 5.0 Mustang GT will become a classic 50 years from now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

It's really hard to determine where America will be in 50 years, especially American culture. It's too much to generalize future transportation.

A good possibility is the reliance on electric vehicles, which will be more prominent sooner than later when we can develop more densely powerful batteries or power cells.

Our global position in the future could very well determine who we will trade with. This is dependent on who will be our future allies/ enemies and whether or not our economy is competitive on a global scale. Imagine the possibility of less auto imports in order to protect our own auto industry and its electric vehicles.

Culturally, I believe there is a huge consumer market for American vehicles and I believe there will still be one in the future. If there is one thing that has proven the test of time is American consumerism and its desire for autos. This forum is but a small part of that American tradition and enthusiasm.

So, unless we get into a major war in the future and force our industry and our resources to its cause. I see no reason why any of the S197s or new 5.0s wouldn't be American classics.

By that time, I'll be retired and hopefully will have one of those classics in my garage ;P.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Its hard to say. I have thought about the package deals and that will really kill the values of most of our stangs. The cars that they made tens of thousands of are just not worth what the more unique cars are. I think people will dig them and they will be worth something but its unlikely they will achieve the legendary status the older Detroit iron has achieved. They will prob end up like the 65-66 coupes.... cool but there are so many they are not particularly collectible if they are like 40k others.... that being said cars that are not as collectible stock allow you the freedom to mod and build a real hotrod instead of keeping a trailer queen.
Also there is no way everyone would be in computer controlled cars on mass transit systems all the time in the future America cant even spend the money to maintain its current infrastructure and its not financially possible to overall the established system at this point. Look at it like europe... sure there are highways and modern roads but inside the cities... the roads are still very narrow and cannot be adapted for modern traffic at modern speeds at this point... i could possibly see highways that way in the far future but you cant tear into the cities and its not worth the investment in the open country. Our cities and lifestyles are built around our roads.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well I think its important to note that the "American Classics" of the 50s, 60s & early 70s are not just considered classics because of the content of the vehicles, or the vehicles themselves. In many ways, they are considered classics because of the era they came from... the technological capabilities and breakthroughs, the political and social climate of the time, etc. It could be argued pretty strongly that the 50's and 60's were a bit of a "golden age" in this country, and thats something that is not likely to repeated again in the "internet generation". Its for these reasons, that I don't think anything mass produced today is ever going to achieve "legendary" status. Technology has gotten better obviously, but the same soul isn't there. I'm just glad that we still have cars like this around, because I seriously question if we will in 20 years.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yes, the 50's & 60s were a golden age as far as America goes. The US was the world superpower and the American economy was king. And under that economy, everyone had the opportunity to work and get paid a decent wage, and as such, the muscle car era blossomed because more people could afford to buy them.

Fast forward to the late 90s and even to the present: Due to bad trade policies, American jobs are being poured overseas by the millions. Skilled labor workers lose their jobs and have to take lesser paying jobs: the product of wage depression.
To exacerbate the problem of jobs and decent wages, job benefits are becoming too expensive, especially health care costs (due mostly to ambulance chasers and to some extent, the medical industry gouging American patients), and also too restrictive environmental laws that make it easier to build dirty pollution belching factories in China rather than keeping a clean green factory here in the states.
And because of wage depression and loss of decent paying jobs, salaries do not keep up with inflation, and thus fewer Americans can afford even a meat-and-tater muscle car (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), much less a more refined muscle car (Corvette, Viper, etc.).

I noticed that there are 'Stangs all over my town. But I have yet to see anyone else in my neighborhood other than myself who has a 5.0 Coyote. I know there are more Coyotes in my town, but none are anywhere near me.

If more people had better paying jobs (not junk jobs like McDonals or WalMart), I am sure more people would have Coyotes in their garages.

Will the 5.0 Coyote be a classic in 50 years? Aside from the other reasons that I mentioned in my earlier posts, it could very well be possible if demand for the '11 Coyote dwindles because people do not care to spend the money for more of them. For the dozens of thousands of them that are already sold, I personally doubt that they will become a classic, not like what a GT500 will be because of their limited run productions.

Or, if the '11 5.0 Coyote becomes very rare over the years, namely because most get junked, wrecked, and so forth over time, then it just might be possible that they will become valuable classics if only several hundred survive.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
The classics will always be the classics as we know them now.

True, but for this generation. The upcoming generation, they are going to be less aware of what we consider classic. Their classics are going to be the cars on the road right now.

Those of you that are saying there's no way modern Mustangs will be considered classics, I couldn't disagree more. Its already happening. 80s cars like Grand Nationals, early foxbody Stangs, Camaros, Supras, Nissan Z cars, early Lightnings, etc are already developing cult followings, which are turning them into collectible and classic status. Go to any informal Saturday night parking lot car show. I think you guys are underestimating the nostalgia factor for car enthusiasts. Case in point, when my buddy brings out his '89 Supra Turbo, there's more of a crowd around his car than there is around alot of the 60s cars. Everybody either had one, or had a friend in high school that had one, and everybody has a story.

The Mustang mystique will live on, I'd bank on it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Those cars are actually pretty old. Considering that cars become more or less "classic" by the time they are 30 or so years, the Grand Nationals, 'Stang Fox bodies, and other 80's cars are already in that league.

Now a Fox body Cobra, that is slated to be deemed a classic since they are much more rare than your run-of-the-mill Fox body LX & GT.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

If rarity is a factor, then again I would submit that any running fox will be a classic eventually. When's the last time you've seen one on the road? They're getting rarer and rarer. I get excited when I see one! And to see one in decent shape is even less common. Ever priced an unmolested pristine shape fox? If you can find one, you wont touch it for under 5K. They're holding their value pretty well considering how many they made.

I think the Mustang (of any year or generation) has a good shot at reaching classic status. Like somebody already mentioned, only a handful are going to escape the junkyard. The survivors will be sought after.

PS, I cant believe I'm the lone voices on a MUSTANG enthusiast forum trying to convince others how special their cars are/will be! LOL

Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

So true! I still see Foxes all over town, but most of them are beginning to rust back into the elements. How they are still drivable, I have no idea.
A guy in my neighborhood has a fox in his driveway, and but he never drives it. He did have it up on jack stands one, just to change the oil, but I have yet to see his Fox ever gone from his driveway.

You are right, Foxes are disappearing at a rate of dozens, possibly even hundreds, each year. Their rarity will eventually make them a highly sought after and valuable classic.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes I miss my '89 GT, but looking back, it too was turning into the typical bucket of fox bolts. At the time I didn't have the money to keep it going.

Kudos to the guys that are keeping those things on the road.

Last edited by 65Raven65; 10-10-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
If rarity is a factor, then again I would submit that any running fox will be a classic eventually. When's the last time you've seen one on the road? They're getting rarer and rarer. I get excited when I see one! And to see one in decent shape is even less common. Ever priced an unmolested pristine shape fox? If you can find one, you wont touch it for under 5K. They're holding their value pretty well considering how many they made.

I think the Mustang (of any year or generation) has a good shot at reaching classic status. Like somebody already mentioned, only a handful are going to escape the junkyard. The survivors will be sought after.

PS, I cant believe I'm the lone voices on a MUSTANG enthusiast forum trying to convince others how special their cars are/will be! LOL

Yeah I agree with you, and I'm glad you also feel confident that our cars will become classics! Just think about it, when we hit the age where all the cars are electric, and their going down the street not making noise, then all the sudden a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 comes ripping down the road with its nasty badas* V8, people are ganna say, wow! I truely think that Mustang's become classic. Just give ehm time!

Also, I think some people don't realize how special and lucky they are to own a Mustang just because they already have it. If your in my position, addicted to Mustang GT's, but now owning one, you truly know how great these Muscle Cars are!

Quick Reply: Do you think the 2011 5.0 Mustang GT will become a classic 50 years from now?