Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Squeaking Noise, Please Help!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Black121
1st Gear Member

Default Squeaking Noise, Please Help!

I also posted this as a response in the S197 handling section after doing a search, but it appears there are numerous others that are experiencing the same thing. I hope I don't get flamed too much for posting this as another thread but I think it needs some exposure since there are a lot of others that are posting the same issue and we still don't have a fix.

Here's the deal:

I have an 07 GT/CS and the **** is driving me freaking batty. I have completely disassembled everything that can be removed from my trunk and back seats. I have pinpointed the noise to definitely be coming from the side quarter panel behind the driver's seat and possibly in the undercarriage in that direct area. I have been under the car for hours pushing and pulling on anything that can move and it is all tight and silent. I'm at my wits end and it is even audibly loud outside the car as well. It is most prevalent from first and second and under initial load while the frame and drive train are under pressure by the tension from the torque and inertia of forward movement. It will squeak again once I shift which releases everything from the forward thrust (gravitational pull). The best way I can describe it is, from first, second, and sometimes third, whatever makes your head go back under acceleration makes it squeak, then whatever makes your head come forward during a shift, makes it squeak, then it's gone and I can in no way shape or form replicate in a static setting. Am I losing my damn mind or can we find a fix?!?!?!?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all input. You guys/gals have always helped me when I posted something. Cheers

Last edited by Black121; 11-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I'm no expert on these cars, but I know a thing or two about physics. A significant squeak during inertial loads (acceleration, deceleration and G-turns), would most likely be caused by something that has a fairly substantial weight. I would check the fuel tank mounts. In fact, see if there is a difference in the intensity of the squeak at various fuel levels. If there is... then there you go.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Black121
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
I'm no expert on these cars, but I know a thing or two about physics. A significant squeak during inertial loads (acceleration, deceleration and G-turns), would most likely be caused by something that has a fairly substantial weight. I would check the fuel tank mounts. In fact, see if there is a difference in the intensity of the squeak at various fuel levels. If there is... then there you go.
Fifthwind, I was thinking along the same lines on the weight deal. I just figured me being up under the car crapping myself trying to benchpress the back end, jumping in the trunk, and making my neighbors otherwise believe I'm on a drug high of some sort would have replicated the noise to some degree, but nothing. It is only from front to back shifts in weight and not up and down so your thought process is right on par in my book but only I've noticed it with every fuel level possible. I'm just puzzled what the hell could be in the area behind the driver's seat that would do that. I've even pulled around on the fuel inlet tube and still squat.....................

The only thing about the squeak is that it makes a noise like what the excess end of a tightened hose clamp would make scrapping against sheet metal. It sounds light in nature but I'm pretty sure I've checked all the light, slightly mobile pieces underneath which takes us back to the heavy stuff.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Noises are a BITCH to isolate.

I spent 2 months going through multiple noise problems due to mods I had done.
You just gotta keep looking.
My advice is to make a list of all things you have checked and make a list
of things that pop in your head to check.

Sometimes the noises will be NOTHING you thought they were.
Example: something broken or loose with the seat frame itself and for some odd reason it only makes the noise under load.
May seem to make no sense at all but weird things happen when it comes
to noises on these cars.

Good luck and keep at it!
Also... I would advice having a buddy or two help you.
That way all those damn things you have to check will go faster and they can also help
to come up with some ideas while they are under or in the car.
Just make sure you are being SAFE while you have the car up and have it lifted
and secured correctly!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Black121
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Noises are a BITCH to isolate.

I spent 2 months going through multiple noise problems due to mods I had done.
You just gotta keep looking.
My advice is to make a list of all things you have checked and make a list
of things that pop in your head to check.

Sometimes the noises will be NOTHING you thought they were.
Example: something broken or loose with the seat frame itself and for some odd reason it only makes the noise under load.
May seem to make no sense at all but weird things happen when it comes
to noises on these cars.

Good luck and keep at it!
Also... I would advice having a buddy or two help you.
That way all those damn things you have to check will go faster and they can also help
to come up with some ideas while they are under or in the car.
Just make sure you are being SAFE while you have the car up and have it lifted
and secured correctly!
Thanks Blacksmoke,

Nice car you got by the way! I'm starting to think more and more that it may be one of the control arm bushings. I did have a buddy ride in the back seat and that is how I was able to really concentrate the sound coming from the drivers side rear wheel well area. I'm just about thinking that if I replace the control arms with some aftermarket arms it may resolve the problem. If I gas it and let off real quick in one of the low gears, it does it right after a shift. I spent another hour up under the car and the stock control arms looked awfully rusted and dry in the pivots. What you think?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'll put my money on suspension. Sounds like torsional forces at play here.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:55 PM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Did you ever find what was wrong with it???

My 2005 gt is making the same noise! It sounds like it is coming from the passenger door maybe umder the right side back window? I cant figure it out. It happens when there is force pulling the car or force slowing down the car (braking) and even on certain dips . I hate it and im going nuts.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:34 PM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

I also have a squeak in the rear with initial acceleration. I believe in might be the lower controls squeaking. I have sprayed the bushing with lubricant and the noise went away or was reduced significantly for a short period of (until the lubricant wore off). So I am going to just get my upper and lower control replaced in a few months and hope that is what the noise. Good luck isolating your squeak.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I had a squeak that drove me nuts a few months ago, similar to what you are describing and I made a thread on it here:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ushings-2.html

Mine turned out to be badly greased bushings and I had to eventually swap them out. Silicon did do the trick for a long while, but I eventually just wanted peace of mind.

Doesn't take long, and it would give you a good excuse for aftermarket LCAs lol.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM
statengt

whats an lca? lol and i habve same problem drives me nut!!! did the control arm bushings and stil there help....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise, Please Help!