Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Paint Sucks

Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by carguygt
My 2010 had paint peel the day I had it, sprayed it with a hose, and a 5 inch chunk by 2 inches wide came off the hood. My new 2011 was keyed las week, and it went right to the metal under the paint, the paint is so thin on these new fords its pathetic, I talked to the ford paint rep, and he says they use the water based paints now for the " enviroment" and its cheaper, HA! pathetic, If I could afford it, Id take it to a body shop, or let some 5 yr old kid paint it with spray paint as it would be a better job than the factory junk.
That sucks man.

Wow man your sig is huge lol
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RichieCal
I have no factory paint issues at all..not even with the hood, that I have read alot of people are having problems with..I have an 06 btw
I'm willing to bet if you look in the right places (do a search) you WILL find paint bubbling. I have an 07 that is babied, never driven in the rain but I had issues with the hood. By yours being an 06, you better hope I'm wrong because you are out of warranty and Ford will not cover it.
Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

ahhh, the famous ford warranty, if they would have given me 1000 off, i would have told them to shove their warranty up there rectum. if my engine locks up tomorrow, ford wont be fixing it... i promise you that
Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'm gonna have to eventually replace my hood with an aftermarket because of the hood corrosion problem that they want no parts of. Don't get me started, but a lot of people seem to be having this problem
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

To repeat, I have no factory paint issues at all..no bubbling or chipping anywhere.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, factory paint is so thin any little thing chips it easily. I'll be repairing mine and adding several coats of clear when I have my stripes painted. Until then all I can do is hope it doesn't get too much worse then it already is. Horrible place to try and cut costs.

Tim
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

If you think Ford is bad, at least they put some clear in the door jambs. Go look at a Chevy! No clear in the door jambs. Talk about el-cheapo paint jobs!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 PM
RedRob

Just from seeing cars posted here I see a lot of them with orange peel didn't think it was like that from day one
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedRob
Just from seeing cars posted here I see a lot of them with orange peel didn't think it was like that from day one
I dont think I have ever seen a production car that did not have orange peel..Unless you paying for a Ferrari or something that goes that extra step because of the price.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Your quarter panel has been repainted, simple as that.
The side glass wasn't removed and that didn't allow for decent prepping in those grooves, hence the peeling.
Typical of amateurs!

Doesn't matter if you bought the car new from the dealer...
Someone fugged up a brand new car (prolly during unloading)and they had to fix it before putting it on the lot.
Not the first time this happens and won't be the last time either.

As far as factory quality, you'll get orange peel due to the robots that do the work nowadays.
Also, the bumpers never really match the rest of the car because metal and plastic doesn't hold paint the same way (enter the infamous late 90s Camry with gold paint, lol.)
This is not relevant to Ford only BTW...
Only exotic cars are buffed out from the factory and have paint jobs that match their price tags.

haha, its funny you bring up the 97-99 camrys, cause when I had mine it was EXACTLY as you said, the body was a beautiful deep red, and the rear bumper was a matte red that contrasted horribly (especially in the sun), so yeah even the well known asian manufacturers have their quality issues when it comes to paint, if that makes anyone feel better. Ill be the first to attest to that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Paint Sucks