Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Paint Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem on a then 2 year old 2002 Explorer, the sail panels peeled completely and all they gave me was the run around. I also owned an Integra that faded above the passenger side fender down to the primer after 5 years. Back in the day I didn't see any cars with orange peel from the factory.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I have heard of this problem as being wide spread.
I think a flat out recall should have been sent.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang country
I've had my '07 vista blue Mustang for three years now and I also recently discovered that the paint is eroding right in front of the hood. WHen I went to the dealership for the preveious maintenance check, he told me I have to go to the main dealership which is located 20 to 30 miles where I live. I'm hoping that sometime later this year or early next year, I can take it to a body shop and hopefully the cost won't be too much. I guess the paint that auto companies use aren't that good because I've seen some new cars that have paint erosion.
Yep, that's exactly the spot where I first noticed mine too. Pop your hood and look under where there seams meet near the front edge. If it looks like welding gobs, it's the paint bubbling.

Before;

After;

Last edited by 07 Stang; 11-21-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM
lcbrownz

The paint on the inside driver's door handle on my 07 Mustang vert is starting to flake off. It's going to cost about $250 to have it repainted.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

Same here. I just noticed that the paint on the inside of my driver's door handle is chipping off a little. I may have to make seperate appointments with a body shop to have this painted as well as the paint bubbles on my hood.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I was wondering what you guys think I should do with regard to the paint. My car is literally 6 months old at this point, and so far during regular driving and pristine maintenance, I've got 3-4 decently sized paint chips off the front of the hood, which seems sorta ridiculous for 6 months. Would you guys go into the dealer over it or just forget it?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I was wondering what you guys think I should do with regard to the paint. My car is literally 6 months old at this point, and so far during regular driving and pristine maintenance, I've got 3-4 decently sized paint chips off the front of the hood, which seems sorta ridiculous for 6 months. Would you guys go into the dealer over it or just forget it?
Is it just chips (like from rocks) or can you tell if it's bubbling/peeling?

Mine is starting to bubble/peel like really badly, which looks like schit, so I also need to do something about it. I've been to the dealer, with the printed out TSB, called, left voicemails, emailed Ford representatives etc etc and they want NOTHING to do with it (which is infuriating since I take pride in the presentation of my car). Since your car is new it's worth a shot to see if they would take care of it, but don't be surprised if they look at you like you're speaking a different language.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Shadow_Chaser
1st Gear Member

Only paint problem I have is Orange Peel on both doors... a bit on the body fenders too... not too bad far away, but makes me want to take a sander to it when I'm 5 ft. away.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow_Chaser
Only paint problem I have is Orange Peel on both doors... a bit on the body fenders too... not too bad far away, but makes me want to take a sander to it when I'm 5 ft. away.
I suspect you haven't looked at the edges and corners of every painted panel... you will find some paint drips, bubbles.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I never was meticulous about bubbling and orange peel and such. Hell, I was just glad to have my own Mustang! lol. But I will make sure I give my '12 a good hard look when it comes.

Quick Reply: Ford Paint Sucks