Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

good to hear you got it worked out
Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Nevermind. Broke down again. Fuel pump was pulsing then pressure went all the way down. Not to zero - this time to about 10 psi. Going to get towed home...CJ said they would send a flatbed to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Wow. That stinks, man. I just installed a Whipple kit (see my sig) myself last weekend. So far, I haven't had a single issue with it. The install was a pain, but other than that, things have been great with it.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Yikes man those guys are incompetent. They don't seem to be able to verify their own work. It's like they slap a fix on there and don't even check to see that it works. Really sorry for your hassle. You forked over some serious bones and deserve some competent labor for your efforts. These guys don't seem to be able to deliver on that.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

I agree with j0nx, dont they test drive the damn thing? They do seem a little incompetent. The nicest guys in the world cant make up for shoddy work. I had my blower done at a stealership and they fought it for a week working with Edelbrock and finally it all came down to the canned tune was bad. But he always tested it before having me come try it out.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Everyone test drove it - the manager, me and another employee. I drove the car home on a three hour trip last night and then an hour long trip to work in the morning before the issue occurred again when I went to lunch. We all believed we caught the issue because we were able to recreate it in the shop. On the way hone I even noticed the washboard-like bumps in the highway that I went over right before the first time I had the issue.

There is something weird going on with fuel pump where it will have issues getting power all of a sudden. I really won't put this one on them because I saw them pull everything apart and put it back together. The fact that I drove it for 4 hours under varied conditions (highway/rush hour etc) without a hitch before it happened again should say something right there.

The manager called up Ford again and now has all of the wiring diagrams for the pump. He is going to be sending a flatbed to get my car from 3 hours away. What more should I expect from them?

Last edited by chidrock; 11-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 AM
carfixer100

These guys are NOT incompetent. An intermittent problem is a bitch. No matter how good you are, intermittent problems will bite you in the *** from time to time. Sounds like they are doing the right thing for you by towing it back and having everyone involved in trying to find the problem. I hope they fix it for you before you lose all faith in the car.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm pretty down on the whole thing and wondered how much it would be to return the car to stock once or twice. The whipple is so awesome though.

As far as their service, I'm happy with it have no complaints. I would totally recommend them. It just sucks that I live so far away. I'm just happy I didn't do the install myself. If I did, I'd really be up the creek on this. My luck has always run on the crappy side, and this is no exception, especially after having chosen the whipple for the lack of problems associated with it.

The manager said he got the wiring diagrams from Ford for the pump, but I'm tempted to say that they should just send a new one. The problem with that is what if it's not even the pump causing the issue?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear of the troubles chidrock. it sounds like a wiring or relay problem to me and i think it will get sorted out in due time. i'll keep the bubbly on ice until i read that everything is A-OK.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Just giving an update for anyone who was following this. They put a new wiring harness in for the fuel pump, and that seems to have done the trick. They've test drove the car at various times and put it through the ropes, but they haven't seen any red flags or had any issues with it. The manager is going to test drive it again tomorrow. Hopefully I will hear back from him tomorrow letting me know that I could have the car back. This has basically been going on for almost a month, and it would be nice to have some time with it before the weather gets bad.

Quick Reply: Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/