Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/

Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

let's keep the fingers crossed, that this is all gonna start looking
up from here on out.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! It was amazing for the short time I drove it before each of the problems occurred. I'm just tired of everyone telling me that they don't understand why I had to go and do that to the car. Can't wait until that's over...
Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

Some people just dont understand that it is a hobby. To them, your mustang is only a means of transportation
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

What I suspect, and seems like they should have known better, is there is a difference in wiring between the old wiring harness and the new. IIRC, it makes the car think your empty and shuts the pump off or something like that.

Same thing happened with my moms Bullitt when she had her Saleen installed at Brenspeed. They wired hers like a standard 05-08 (she has a 09.) A similar issue happened when they had filled up, and it didn't register. All though when she called them (they live about 1,000 miles away,) Brenspeed immediately answered with, it needs to be changed to the new style. No new harness needed, Brenspeed successfully walked them through, over the phone, the few pins they had to relocate and they never had a problem again...

This may not be your issue, but if a new harness fixed it...... I got a strong feeling.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Well, I finally got the car back. I didn't really get to run it through any tests yet, but I did get to take it to the store yesterday, and I was wondering if I might still have an issue.

I was doing a steady 80 in 5th at 2500 RPMs, and I could hear the pumps pulsing. Is this normal with the GT500 pump - something with the dual pump set up?

I didn't get to try it out much, but I also noticed it when I was doing a steady 40 in 3rd at 2500 RPMs. (although it wasn't as loud) When accellerating and driving normally at other RPMs, everything seems okay. It's just weird to be cruising on the interstate with traffic and to hear that - almost like a steady baseline pumping out.

I did try to record it with my phone and I could email it to someone if they are interested in hearing it. I just don't know if this is normal with the bigger pump. I know I can hear the tapping of the injectors a lot more now,but I don't know if that's just the kit or the MGW shifter I also had installed.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

the upgraded injectors do definatly tap a lot more, however hearing your gas pump? I do not belive that to be normal. I only know from hearing my moms, but hers never made a noise that made me think, hmm.. thats a gas pump running.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

I have the dual GT pump in my 05 and I never hear them when the engine is running.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

These types of problems are why I recommend doing the job yourself. It's quite easy and only requires a few basic tools.

No one will do a better job than you, well maybe brenspeed.com.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chidrock
Well, I finally got the car back. I didn't really get to run it through any tests yet, but I did get to take it to the store yesterday, and I was wondering if I might still have an issue.

I was doing a steady 80 in 5th at 2500 RPMs, and I could hear the pumps pulsing. Is this normal with the GT500 pump - something with the dual pump set up?

I didn't get to try it out much, but I also noticed it when I was doing a steady 40 in 3rd at 2500 RPMs. (although it wasn't as loud) When accellerating and driving normally at other RPMs, everything seems okay. It's just weird to be cruising on the interstate with traffic and to hear that - almost like a steady baseline pumping out.

I did try to record it with my phone and I could email it to someone if they are interested in hearing it. I just don't know if this is normal with the bigger pump. I know I can hear the tapping of the injectors a lot more now,but I don't know if that's just the kit or the MGW shifter I also had installed.
Not sure what you are hearing, but it's not fuel pumps. Only time you'll hear the twin pumps is when you turn the key to the on position. Mine make a very distinct whistling sound when they prime.

Did you change the exhaust at the same time? Sounds like you are describing drone from a different exhaust. How about changing the driveshaft? A 1 piece driveshaft can change the tone of the exhaust, believe it or not.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chidrock
Thanks! It was amazing for the short time I drove it before each of the problems occurred. I'm just tired of everyone telling me that they don't understand why I had to go and do that to the car. Can't wait until that's over...
People don't understand why i like to ride a motorcycle, when I have a perfectly good car to drive. I kindly refer to those people as MORONS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/