Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glovebox USB Mount for second USB port

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

That looks really good, I've been wanting to do the same thing.

Would a 1 foot USB cable reach or is 3 feet a good length to use?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Thanks for posting this! I recently bought a Pioneer p4200dvd headunit, and routed a USB cord into my center console. Was wondering how to make it look nice, and this seems ideal!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam
That looks really good, I've been wanting to do the same thing.

Would a 1 foot USB cable reach or is 3 feet a good length to use?
Thanks! I think 1' would be fine, if you are going to use the same setup that I did. Don't remember exactly, but I think the two cables I used were about 1.5' each and sense you have to couple them together it gives you plenty of cable. Now if you can find a panel mount USB that goes to a mini USB and don't need to couple anything together...then I think 1' would be pushing it, because I'm not sure if that would give you enough cable to open the glove box fully. There's plenty of space behind the glovebox to tuck a little bit of extra cable away anyways and like I always say, it's better to have to much than not enough.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

You can use the USB in the center console for the same thing right? Can you use a splitter and have more than one flash drive connected and switch between the two?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
You can use the USB in the center console for the same thing right? Can you use a splitter and have more than one flash drive connected and switch between the two?
No. You can use a splitter to COMBINE power from both USB ports behind the glovebox so you have enough current to run a USB powered hard drive. When doing that one of the ports doesn't work for data (power only).

Originally Posted by sharpshaun91
Hmmm....I haven't had two USB devices hooked up at the same time yet, I wonder if it would work using the Mode button on the steering wheel, maybe toggle through to it? I'm gonna have to try this now and find out.
I do know that the first time I hooked up my thumb drive in the glovebox it automatically recognized it and switched to USB2 on its own.
:
I'm pretty sure no (I tested it out when playing around with my setup). It does default to USB2 if you only have something plugged into it though.

Originally Posted by sharpshaun91
And yes you are correct that there is plenty of room for the cable to come over top of the glovebox and just lay in there with no need to drill (I actually had mine like that for a little bit)......but.....I was feeling crafty and wanted to do something to my car!
Your solution is much more elegant and better looking but you need a black USB cable with a right angle connector to get the benefit from it IMO! The main gripe I have about the console USB port is how you have your thumbdrive sticking out where it can easily break off. A right angle plug would reduce strain on the connection.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 AM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Your solution is much more elegant and better looking but you need a black USB cable with a right angle connector to get the benefit from it IMO! The main gripe I have about the console USB port is how you have your thumbdrive sticking out where it can easily break off. A right angle plug would reduce strain on the connection.

That was one of my worries or gripes as well (especially when it was plugged into my center console), which is why I put the USB extender cable on there, but I suppose a right angle adapter/connector would possibly work a little better.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Will video files play from a flash drive if you have a NAV unit? If so what format is compatible?