Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Driveshaft making a difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Making something more robust doesn't always make it faster.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I have the Shaftmasters 1 piece direct bolt in and love it. These guys know what they are doing and its a very well made shaft. No vibration issues whatsoever.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
It is weird. When Ford does something the cheap way you guys are quick to defend it. but when Ford spends three times as much money on something you want to remove it. Ford would have put a "one piece" [it is not really one piece at all] drive shaft on if they didn't cause more problems then the benefit of putting on a three bearing shaft. Ford doesn't spend money just to make the car slow.
Ford also has to worry about fixing NVH for the 98th percentile driver, and warranty issues. Ford is more concerned about making a quiet driveshaft that will last at least through the warranty than they are about extracting every HP. That's what models like the Boss are for.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I have heard from some that the alum driveshafts are extremely
noisy and can cause problems especially if things like rocks,etc. get
thrown at it because of the weak alum.

This true?
Ford uses an aluminum driveshaft on their F150's. Other manufacturers also use aluminum. If it were that prone to damage, why would it be on a truck?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Ford uses an aluminum driveshaft on their F150's. Other manufacturers also use aluminum. If it were that prone to damage, why would it be on a truck?
aluminum is a very tricky metal, depending on how something is made it can have drastically different characteristics. Look at how they bake the all aluminum body on an audi R8, or forged aluminum wheels for high performance cars. So yes a an aluminum driveshaft could be just as strong as steel while being lighter but it depends on how it was made.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I have the shaftmaster unit on mine, and like said by another member, it seems to tighten up the feel of the drivetrain. I don't remember if the buttdyno picked up any ponies from it, but at ~20lbs. lighter than stock, you can't go wrong with it. I think a more drastic benefit would be gained from 1-piece forged wheels, but they aren't too cheap...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
K9er

I've got the Steeda 1pce alu driveshaft, but I've got it together with the SC so I can't tell about faster or not. I was told that if you go FI, it's safer to change the driveshaft to a 1 piece. It will reduce the loss of HP but certainly not 50%
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
An aluminum driveshaft with a tune, put on at the same time, will literally make you giggle until your face hurts the first time you row through the gears.

The difference in throttle response and revving is drastic.
Question: My car already tuned...then add driveshaft would equate to = roughly the same?

Put my driveshaft on yesterday (no safety loop). Feels much "tighter"...more put together...and no "clunking". Best way I can explain it, currently.

I put my HT10's and HP+'s on yesterday at the same time as the ds, so I didn't play around too much with feeling it out...want to bed my pads first before I start getting on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Your assumption is based on the DS being the source of the 16% loss. What you've missed is that the 16% loss is accumulated from not just the DS but from other rotational mass including your wheels and tires, plus other "drag" on the engine such as the water pump, alternator, etc.
The power loss in the drivetrain does not include any of the losses from belt driven engine accessories, because the current SAE engine testing standard mandates that all belt driven accessories must be installed and operable for engine dyno tests.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
The power loss in the drivetrain does not include any of the losses from belt driven engine accessories, because the current SAE engine testing standard mandates that all belt driven accessories must be installed and operable for engine dyno tests.
Interesting...

So, if you were to install UDP's and an electric water pump, would those gains be deemed CRANK HP gains since you'd essentially be reducing efficiency losses that ARE considered in CRANK HP values?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshaft making a difference