Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Mustang GT - Good Deal/Fair Price?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:45 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
23k? Thats a lot for a used car that is 3 years old and is past technology. You could buy a 2011 GT Delux for 30k and have more power and brand new car.
I'm not sure what circles you're from but 7k is a massive increase in overall price. Percentage wise it's taking on almost 30% to your expenditure.

Honestly if you check that car out and everything is good to go on it, I'd say go for it. IMO It's a pretty awesome looking ride and you're getting a pretty powerful car for less than 20k here. Do still try to haggle him down though, the posted price is something that you should never pay, always push for at least some money off.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Check the Carfax first... what is that 2008 GT doing with 2005 wheels?
I noticed that too, although TBH as said in other places on the forums constantly, most owners of mustangs love to mod them. I'd guess the previous owner of this car liked the look of those wheels better.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Savage Penguin

Thanks all for the awesome and timely feedback. GREAT catch on the '05 rims... seems a bit off to me - I suppose it could have been the previous owner's preference but it still seems somewhat of a red flag. I'll check the carfax on it. We're certain these would be limited to '05?... I guess I haven't seen another model year with them... Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 AM
onegoal
Banned

Another suggestion is to checkout new 2010 Gts. Posters on here are getting some really good deals on them as dealers are trying to clear them out for the 2011 model.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

As for the rims, the guy probably wanted to keep the nice after-market wheels he got, so picked up some cheap 05 rims off craigslist to sell it with. It's what I'd do.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Supermans

I honestly wouldn't get this car. Having 05 tires means he sold the stock ones it came with at some point and bought those real cheap once he took off his aftermarket rims. I would definately look into buying a 2010 if you don't mind having a 4.6 liter V8. You'll spend a little more, however you'll get a much better car overall. I would even give a 2011 V6 a test drive as those now have over 300 HP and are pretty quick with great gas mileage.

Last edited by Supermans; 11-22-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

You know... in defense for the OP (and a lot of others, including me) To some people... sometimes $7,000.00 is a LOT of money. Sometimes a person gets the most car they can with what they can afford.

There is no shame in buying a used GT. I did. And people were asking me why I didn't "just" get a new one." Well, I don't know... maybe because a new one costs $12k more... Hmmmm. It's not always as easy as "screw the used car and buy a new one"

Sometimes I get the feeling that everyone here except me has a secret stash of millions under their beds. LOL

No hate. Just sayin...

Last edited by Fifthwind; 11-22-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

You could always use the fact of the wrong year wheels as a bargaining point... Tell them that you would have to replace them so you need the price knocked down correspondingly.

As far as spending the extra for the '11, I guess I am with the others that say $7k is a LOT of money more... I love my car and enjoy her everytime I start her... That rumble still puts a smile on my face. I'm sure a different year Mustang would do the same.

Good luck. Post pics once you whatever.

Don
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

$18k is a fair price if it's in excellent condition. If it's giving you a woody, jump on it.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
You know... in defense for the OP (and a lot of others, including me) To some people... sometimes $7,000.00 is a LOT of money. Sometimes a person gets the most car they can with what they can afford.

There is no shame in buying a used GT. I did. And people were asking me why I didn't "just" get a new one." Well, I don't know... maybe because a new one costs $12k more... Hmmmm. It's not always as easy as "screw the used car and buy a new one"

Sometimes I get the feeling that everyone here except me has a secret stash of millions under their beds. LOL

No hate. Just sayin...
+1

This is why I don't have a 06 GT. I originally almost pulled the trigger on an 06 GT, but the extra 7.5K at the time wasn't worth the bump in HP and the retro styling for me. If I had my way, I'd have a 5.0 right now, but me buying a house in April is taking priority, so I'll be rocking my 03 for a while lot longer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Mustang GT - Good Deal/Fair Price?