Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise....at wits end.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
So it was the idler pulley for you? How can I see if this is the problem? The idler pulley is the one with the tensioner?
Sorry, it was the tensioner. Mine went bad at about 20,000. It's hard to get a definite location on mine (thought it may have been the supercharger pulley bearings), but the dealership diagnosed it and fixed it. It's a $45.00 part, and probably easy to swap out.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Well just on a whim, I replaced the tensioner to see if it made any improvement. I was almost sure it was the culprit after releasing tension and hearing an annoying squeak. No dice, the sound remains and am starting to think it could be a clutch problem.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the whine is not coming from the rear gear? Those accelerating sounds sound like the whine the diff would make if the diff is not properly seated.

I know you mentioned that the replacement of the shifter coincides with the time the whine started to happen, but it could be just that, a coincidence that the rear gear might have some how come out of proper alignment and started whining.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Are you sure the whine is not coming from the rear gear? Those accelerating sounds sound like the whine the diff would make if the diff is not properly seated.

I know you mentioned that the replacement of the shifter coincides with the time the whine started to happen, but it could be just that, a coincidence that the rear gear might have some how come out of proper alignment and started whining.
well if its the diff, it should make the sound in neutral, correct? I can accelerate and have the noise and it will immediately go away when I put it into neutral.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

No, i got rid of the stock one, so nothing to go back to for testing. I did some searching and found quite a bit of people who installed the new MGW shifter claims that its as quiet/quieter than the stock one. This has me concerned to say the least. It sounds like a mild supercharger in 1st and second gear, lol.
Buddy of mine has 4-5 stock shifters in his garage he is going to get rid of.

Let me know if you want one.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

well if its the diff, it should make the sound in neutral, correct? I can accelerate and have the noise and it will immediately go away when I put it into neutral.
A differential can make noise in neutral (while rolling), under acceleration or deleration or any combination of the three.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I have my stock shifter as well.
PM me if you're interested.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I think it might depends on how much out of battery the pinion is to the ring. It could be that when unloaded (not accelerating, which is either neutral or decelerating) the diff teeth are not contacting under pressure and they do not whine (well they probably would still whine, but you would need to literally put your ear on the diff housing). But when loaded, the mismatching of the gear teeth become audibly pronounced.

This is just a guess of mine, this could be the cause, or hopefully, it is something much more simple.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Did you read my post in this thread?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Did you read my post in this thread?
Yes, i read that but its not at all what i'm experiencing. Although it sounds like gear whine, its not coming from the back end and GOES AWAY when i put it into neutral. This I think rules that out, I could be wrong though. Although im looking into Jim5.0's explanation to see if this is the case.

Quick Reply: Whining noise....at wits end.