Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise....at wits end.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Throwout bearing?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Yes, i read that but its not at all what i'm experiencing. Although it sounds like gear whine, its not coming from the back end and GOES AWAY when i put it into neutral. This I think rules that out, I could be wrong though. Although im looking into Jim5.0's explanation to see if this is the case.
When you do find out, do let us know what the source of the whine is.

The only reason why I I mentioned that the diff can whine but ceases when you let off the gas is when I was a child, my parents used to take us on long road trips in an 80's GMC van. I would hang out in the back and often fell asleep on the floor of the back and I would listen to the diff and the whines it made. When my dad stepped on the gas, it would whine, but it quit as soon as he let off the gas (to slow down or to coast with traffic). I don't remember it whining when he would simply keep up with traffic at a constant speed, even though he was stepping on the gas to do so.

To try to understand this phenomenon, when I was a teen and better understood this sort of thing, I remember reading about helical diff gears that our cars have. I learned that shimming can correct a bad gear mesh and thus eliminate whine, but if I remember right, I think the article I read also said that straight cut gears are noisy. I don't know if that has any bearing on gear whine or if your diff is even has straight cut teeth instead of the traditional helical cut teeth.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm... This may be somewhat severe but is the behavior like the video linked below? I took this video about 10 minutes after it started and it failed about 5 minutes after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQM0mo7VdA
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Yes, i read that but its not at all what i'm experiencing. Although it sounds like gear whine, its not coming from the back end and GOES AWAY when i put it into neutral. This I think rules that out, I could be wrong though. Although im looking into Jim5.0's explanation to see if this is the case.
If you don't put it in neural, but let off the gas does it still whine? Gears can absolutely whine on cruise and be silent when you let off the gas... my fist set of 4.10s were not installed properly and that's exactly the problem I had.

Also to me it sounded as if the sound was coming from the transmission area, central underneath he car but it was absolutely the rear end.

Tim
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Tim, Thats really good info on the diff. I guess ill get some additive and put it in and see if it resolves it. What I find odd too, is that I'm getting sort of a whirring sound when the clutch is out and goes away when the clutch is pressed in. So these two things can be unrelated but I think they could be all clutch related. I did some research and found that it could be the input shaft bearing. Symptoms all point to that I think. THe diff is cheaper though so ill start there first :P
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
Hmmm... This may be somewhat severe but is the behavior like the video linked below? I took this video about 10 minutes after it started and it failed about 5 minutes after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQM0mo7VdA
I watched it and it sounds too high pitched and consistent for what im getting. Mine is only that loud when going wot from first gear.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Throwout bearing?
My thoughts also... If not that then did you recently install rear LCA's? I noticed some whining when i added those. It is only audible when i accelerate and usually at 60-70 mph but i could see others having different rpm ranges depending on how the rearend was set up. I couldnt watch the video since i was at work.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

good luck on finding it.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 12-01-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Maybe you have an invisible s/c lol
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

I guess ill get some additive and put it in and see if it resolves it.
I'm guessing you're wasting your time and $ doing that. Dump the RP lube, flush out the diff., and use stock lube.

Quick Reply: Whining noise....at wits end.