Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

+1 on tunes from American Muscle. You get free updates
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
X07TorchStangX

Originally Posted by Nuke
Search this and other forums and you'll clearly know that even the no-tune-required CAI's can throw a CEL for running lean. The PCM's simply can't adjust for the additional airflow.

Stand-alone CAI ~ 4-6 RWHP
CAI & custom tune combo ~ 20-25 RWHP

Even a good custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune. Find another shop. And BTW, you load your own tunes. Don't allow a shop to handle that for you.

(I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time I've said that...)

What exhaust did you put on? The stock exhaust flows very well so ANY changes from the OE H-pipe back will only yield sound improvement; no power addition.
true true thanks for the replies from everyone btw and ya the shop apparently did not know to use a tuner after the part was installed when I heard that I was both almost pissed and confused at the matter of how they couldn't tune the car after installing it. I went to the place after a recommendation too as you can guess I'm not going back there again. I want to get a custom tuner to do it myself its just I wish they wouldn't be so dam expensive.

but as for the exhaust I installed was an axle back exhaust from flowmaster the idea of it causing a problem did come across as a possible problem but I from myself and the shop came to the conclusion of it not being the problem but you never know sometimes.

exhaust: http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510v6.html

cold air intake: http://www.americanmuscle.com/fordra...ai-0509v6.html

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Well you're going to have to make a choice, either get a tuner (custom preferred) or go back to your stock air box until you can get a tune to properly use the CAI.

Just FYI, tuning isn't what it used to be. You don't just go work some wrenches or work physical parts, it's all done through the on board computer.

And BTW, I hope you mean do it yourself as in plugging in your hand held onto the OBDII.

You won't regret spending the money on a tune.

Last edited by alkemist; 12-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
bterry29
1st Gear Member

The AM page for the CAI that you supplied the link for says that particular CAI requires a tune. AM is very good about putting that on all of their CAI's. I had a V6 and put a K&N CAI on it w/o any problems. It is one of the very few that doesn't require a tune. It looks like you'll either need to get a tune or see if you can return or sale the CAI you bought and get the K&N. By the way, I ended up buying a tuner and tunes from BamaChips and could tell a big difference in the K&N.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
X07TorchStangX

ya no I did check before I bought the cold air intake that wasn't a problem because I had already have a place in mind to install it and check it all about before that they could do it what the failed to mention was that they didn't have the right tuner for the job so until I get a tuner I have to end up returning it and getting it later until I'm able to purchase it. As for plugging the hand held in I know what you mean its a lot easier then it used to be which is a good thing because it makes it easier then before it seems even easier when you get the touch screen

Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

... what I meant was that I hope you are planning on buying a tune from someone reputable and not trying to adjust settings yourself.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
... what I meant was that I hope you are planning on buying a tune from someone reputable and not trying to adjust settings yourself.
+1

You don't do your own tuning with the exception of being able to tweak a few settings. The majority of the parameters that truely affect performance are not user adjustable. That's where a quality shop writing your tunes comes into play. Brenspeed and AM are 2 of the best. Al lyou need to do is plug n' play.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Why do people call these custom tunes? Aren't they really just canned tunes? A custom tune is a tune that is done at a reputable shop on a dyno where the guy writes and uploads the tune to your car and it is SPECIFIC to only your car, not uploaded through the email by some guy that has never even seen yet alone touched your car.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

OMG...please find a different shop...How could they let that roll off their floor? Even if they just opened a FRPP CAI box and read the directions it would call for a ford cal tune, no?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Why do people call these custom tunes? Aren't they really just canned tunes? A custom tune is a tune that is done at a reputable shop on a dyno where the guy writes and uploads the tune to your car and it is SPECIFIC to only your car, not uploaded through the email by some guy that has never even seen yet alone touched your car.
Canned tunes are those that come from SCT or Diablo that will work on just about ANY S197, regardless of the strategy code. These tunes are often mild and conservative, on par with the FRPP tune.

Custom tunes are written for your particular PCM with your particular mods and any other changes you tell the tuner that you want. These are about as close to a dyno tune as you can get based on the tuners' experience and your wants & desires. Too often, folks don't tell their tuner what they want (which can lead to a bit more of an aggressive tune if they did) so the tuner simply does his best to give you a good tune.

A tune done on a dyno is a dyno tune and usually provides SOME improvement over a custom tune. Depending on the aggressiveness of the custom tune and the dyno shop's capability, the improvement can be significant or it can be only a few ponies. I've read where guys have reverted back to their custom tunes after getting a crappy dyno tune.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Problem