Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
X07TorchStangX

Default Cold Air Intake Problem

Hey everyone, so here is the problem the other day I had took my mustang to a tune shop to get the cold air intake installed along with a new exhaust system. I recently purchased the mustang so I couldn't wait to start modding. Well the exhaust system installed fine however when the cold air intake was installed it was causing problems with my MAF throwing the air ratio off in the engine and miss firing the cylinders, basically stalling the stang. I was surprised the cold air intake would cause such a problem although it makes sense how the problem occurred. I was wondering if anyone had faced the same problem or if they had heard of such a thing to occur and how they went about fixing it. I'm thinking about taking it to a speed shop to have it tuned for the cold air intake and/or have the computer relearned for it. Thanks for any help guys

(also if it matters the cold air intake was a ford racing kit for the stang the shop I took it too said it fit perfectly)

Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Most Cold Air intake kits REQUIRE a new tune.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
X07TorchStangX

well thats what I thought too however the shop I took it too apparently didn't have the tuner to do so. Unfortunately I had found this out after the car came out of the shop. I had also ask the mechanic if they had tuned the car after the install because I knew it had to be done, but when I did I didn't get a straight answer. But by getting a simple tune from a shop that actually does have a tuner should fix the problem including the MAF?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X07TorchStangX
well thats what I thought too however the shop I took it too apparently didn't have the tuner to do so. Unfortunately I had found this out after the car came out of the shop. I had also ask the mechanic if they had tuned the car after the install because I knew it had to be done, but when I did I didn't get a straight answer. But by getting a simple tune from a shop that actually does have a tuner should fix the problem including the MAF?
You should just buy yourself a tuner and set of custom tunes from somewhere like American Muscle or Brenspeed anyway. It'll come in handy and I'm betting it'll be better than a small type of shop will do for you any day. (Excluding specialty shops/dyno tunes)
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yes, tunes work magic for the vehicles performance. I tuned my car back to stock before I took it into the dealer and it ran like absolute ****. Get good custom tune from either brenspeed or american muscle. Its $379 and they will tune your car for life for any mods you add on.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

well thats what I thought too however the shop I took it too apparently didn't have the tuner to do so.
Another case of blatant incompetence...who is training these f'cking monkeys? What is required to become a mechanic these days???
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow I can't believe the shop did not know you would need a tune.

Was this a Ford dealership?
Was it just some random hole in the wall shop?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM
tdurham19
1st Gear Member

Another case of blatant incompetence...who is training these f'cking monkeys? What is required to become a mechanic these days???
That is exactly why I hate taking my car to the shop, and even dealership if I need a fix.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Unless you have high confidence in a different shop in your area I would suggest buying your own tuner with custom tunes from either Brenspeed or American Muscle.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Search this and other forums and you'll clearly know that even the no-tune-required CAI's can throw a CEL for running lean. The PCM's simply can't adjust for the additional airflow.

Stand-alone CAI ~ 4-6 RWHP
CAI & custom tune combo ~ 20-25 RWHP

Even a good custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune. Find another shop. And BTW, you load your own tunes. Don't allow a shop to handle that for you.

(I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time I've said that...)

What exhaust did you put on? The stock exhaust flows very well so ANY changes from the OE H-pipe back will only yield sound improvement; no power addition.

Last edited by Nuke; 12-01-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Problem