Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Resale??

Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea it does SUCK...My car already lost equal amount of value in 8months when I bought compared to my 2005 Toyota tacoma I traded in for it that was 5years old.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yep. Just like 99-04 GT's are worth didly squat compared to what they were worth in 2004. The only New Edges worth a crap are Mach 1's and 03/04 Cobras (Termies STILL sell used for 25K, WTF) Even the 05's are losing their resale too. I've seen some in my area going for as low as 11-12K with only around 50K miles.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
I'm more surprised that you're surprised at the loss on the resale value.....do your homework *before* you buy the car. I could have a German import for the loss alone that I've taken on my last four mustangs. Buy a car because you want it.
Agreed.............it is what it is !
Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Owning an Audi will cost a lot more to maintain....keep that in mind too!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Guys I have owned plenty of mustangs in my day and none of them devalued like this. I sold my 2007 in late 2009 and got 14500 for it in trade. That's like 1000 less than what they are offering me for a car now that is barely a year old. Something took a big turn in loss value for these cars. It must be the '11 killing them or the fact that it's a vert in winter. Either way I am not letting it go for less than $18k. I've got a dealer with a used 2010 BMW 328i that says he will give me NADA value for it if I pay retail for the bimmer. I have to run the numbers and find out which would be less, taking kbb and paying 3k less than retail on the bimmer or taking NADA value and paying the dealer's asking price. Ideally I would keep the mustang but this shimmy is a PITA and ford won't fix it. I have been around and around with them and they say it is that way by design...
Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Edmunds shows 2010 mustang v6 premium convert trade-in at $22,500. That is with no
Options. You have PP, wheels and Security. Retail is $26k. Screw KBB. Are they charging KBB value for BMW?

http://m.edmunds.com/site?t=jpH8coyp...hA&sid=edmunds
Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

You nailed it, the fact that the Mustang's have new engines make the 2010 models the black sheep of the new Stangs. The 5.0 and 3.7 make the 4.6 and 4.0 look crappy, now the demand is going to be on the new engines. It's basic and simple supply and demand. Ford has been advertising the hell out of the 2011 Stangs. When the 2010's came out, I don't even remember seeing one commercial about them. Hell, I was never interested in a S197 Mustang at all til the 5.0 came out, myself.

But, you do have a vert, so for what it's worth, your car will hold more value than the typical v6 4.0. So, yeah, I think if your mileage is low, you MAY be able to hit 18K, I can't see you honestly getting anymore than that for it. Like I said, I've seen many 2010 used V6 stangs going for really low. 13-15K.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Not trying to rub it in, but was $32k for a v6 convertible a good price to begin with?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Nah I paid 29k out the door which is all tax and tags combined. I am nobody's fool. It is still close enough to 50% to be very disconcerting. The 10's are better than the 09's in every single way yet their values are only $1k different at most. Dealers laugh at edmunds and nada values unfortunately. They usually only ever pay kbb and even then sometimes you have to get up and walk out before they relent on that. Carmax always paid me kbb but even an excellent rated kbb value is still only 17k or so which is ridiculous. I think it is the fact that it is near winter and the verts are out of season.

The audi dealers here are all ********* and will NOT deal at ALL. In fact most of them won't even return your emails. At least the bimmer dealer is willing to return my emails and try to make a deal on this 2010 328 loaded with 10k miles. I'm just not sure I want another RWD daily. The full retail of that bimmer is also about $2k more than a brand new audi a4 with sport package and quattro which is what I really want. Unless the bimmer dealer gives me a killer deal then I'll probably just keep the mustang until next year and then order an audi in the spring. By the time the car gets here from germany it will be july and I will have paid down another $4k or so off of the mustang and its value will be higher since the weather will be warmer.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I think KBB is just low on everything ....

I tried to buy a used Jeep Wrangler last year for KBB retail value. The dealer had it for sale for almost $3K over KBB value and would only come down $500. The salesman said KBB prices were crazy low and generally do not coincide with the real market. Supposedly the Edmunds TMV values are from actual sales ...

NADA value of your car matches Edmunds.

They sold the Wrangler to someone else within a week so I guess they were right.

NADA list the trade-in of my car at $26.6K ... I paid $30K for it ... KBB shows Trade-in to be $24K .

Originally Posted by j0nx
Nah I paid 29k out the door which is all tax and tags combined. I am nobody's fool. It is still close enough to 50% to be very disconcerting. The 10's are better than the 09's in every single way yet their values are only $1k different at most. Dealers laugh at edmunds and nada values unfortunately. They usually only ever pay kbb and even then sometimes you have to get up and walk out before they relent on that. Carmax always paid me kbb but even an excellent rated kbb value is still only 17k or so which is ridiculous. I think it is the fact that it is near winter and the verts are out of season.

The audi dealers here are all ********* and will NOT deal at ALL. In fact most of them won't even return your emails. At least the bimmer dealer is willing to return my emails and try to make a deal on this 2010 328 loaded with 10k miles. I'm just not sure I want another RWD daily. The full retail of that bimmer is also about $2k more than a brand new audi a4 with sport package and quattro which is what I really want. Unless the bimmer dealer gives me a killer deal then I'll probably just keep the mustang until next year and then order an audi in the spring. By the time the car gets here from germany it will be july and I will have paid down another $4k or so off of the mustang and its value will be higher since the weather will be warmer.

Last edited by dmhines; 12-01-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang Resale??