Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Resale??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

first of all, any car is a terrible investment... you will lose money, big money, 99.99999% of the time when you buy a new car, especially a new car that they made hundreds of thousands just like it.

I bought my sorry slow v6 because i loved the style of it, still dont love the style of the 2010-11's. I passed a 90's camaro today that looked bad azz... point being, you have to buy your car because you love it, not because you are going to make money on it... because you will lose money, even if you keep your car for 50 years, and figure in upkeep and inflation, you will still lose your ****!

get over it, get in it, and drive it!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Dealers don't sell for kbb trade in values. kbb also has dealer retail values as well which is a totally different value that is higher. The trade in value is what they give YOU. The kbb dealer suggested retail for my mustang is $21260 which matches carmax's values almost perfectly from what I ran to see what cars identical to mine are retailing for. Basically they want to give me 17k at best, and most likely 15.5k, since I have yet to ever have a dealer pay me excellent kbb range, and then they will sell it for 20-21k.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
first of all, any car is a terrible investment... you will lose money, big money, 99.99999% of the time when you buy a new car, especially a new car that they made hundreds of thousands just like it.

I bought my sorry slow v6 because i loved the style of it, still dont love the style of the 2010-11's. I passed a 90's camaro today that looked bad azz... point being, you have to buy your car because you love it, not because you are going to make money on it... because you will lose money, even if you keep your car for 50 years, and figure in upkeep and inflation, you will still lose your ****!

get over it, get in it, and drive it!
Ok, enough with the righteous rants. I already said I love my car but I am TIRED of the unpredictable shaking that Ford won't fix. It will drive fine for 5 or 6 days out of 7 and then for no apparent reason it starts to shimmy again. It makes me want to drive it off a cliff.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

if you are tired of the rants and the way your car is then sell it privately or trade it and take the hit and get what you want. they you dont have to rant or listen to others rant and its a win win
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it is kind of funny. OP starts a rant thread that gets a few rant replies. Odd.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Ok, enough with the righteous rants. I already said I love my car but I am TIRED of the unpredictable shaking that Ford won't fix. It will drive fine for 5 or 6 days out of 7 and then for no apparent reason it starts to shimmy again. It makes me want to drive it off a cliff.
um, ok? i guess i should be honored? didn't know i was ranting? anyway, do what you want, everyone is just stating their opinion.. i could care less what you do..
Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

it's kinda already been said but the first year or two is when the value drops the most, any car, some just worth than others. you lose 15-30% just driving off the lot, just gets worse from there ha ha. you think the mustang is bad!? my buddy just bought a used BMW 7 series fully loaded sport package. brand new that's a $90,000+ car, he paid $38,000 for it and it's only three years old lol. and that's what the dealer sold it for, so that means they took it on trade for probably $30,000. someone took a $60,000 loss in just 3 years! ouch!

if you want to change a car very often, aka every year or two, then lease it. at least with the lease you don't have the liability of the full value of the car. in that case who cares what it's worth in a few years, you only have to worry about the payments for "X" number of months at "X" a month.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Cars are not an investment. You lose money as soon as you leave the lot. Some just more than others.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

We all knew that the value in our cars would plummet once the '11s hit the lot. As for why you sat on getting rid of a car that was undesirable to you anymore is anyone's guess. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot there.

No going back in time though. Right now it boils down to convenience or money by trading in or private sale. Private sale will most likely net you the most.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Uphouse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
If you have the money to trade your car in after a single year, I don't see how resale loss should effect your wallet any. I don't know about everyone else, but I plan to keep mine for quite awhile.

I think the real loss would be having an Audi :'(
I've been catching up on Top Gear (UK Version), and if I've learned one thing from them it's this: ***** ride in Audi's.

Quick Reply: Mustang Resale??