Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Relay Fuse Keeps Blowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
probably not, but just be mentally prepared to call a tow truck sometime
late at night, when you are far from home.
LMAO.. To funny. No don't worry, just be ready for everything to go wrong when you least expect it..

Seriously though, it was most likely just a bad connection. When you went through and re-connected everything it took care of the problem. You said it happened last time on the initial start up. So your already in better shape than you were.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302_GT
No don't worry, just be ready for everything to go wrong when you
least expect it..
hey i like that better, well said!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

well I do have AAA but ill hope for the best lol!

Just glad to have her running!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah hopefully everything will be fine from here on out.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Seriously though, it was most likely just a bad connection. When you went through and re-connected everything it took care of the problem. You said it happened last time on the initial start up. So your already in better shape than you were.
Seriously? The circuit-breaker in your house trips 3 or 4 times in a row on a 10amp line, you know you only have a max of 3amps being used, do you:

a) shrug and try 5 more times until it doesn't anymore?
b) find out why it's shorting, has a bad contact point, one of the components actually using the line is going bad, or something hooked to it you forgot/missed?

If it didn't do it just once or twice you know something at that point wasn't right. Not knowing just means a delay of consequences when it crops up again, as you know it will, and possibly an escalation to the consequences depending on what it is.

Glad to hear it's functioning, your car, but I strongly suggest you actually figure out the cause before you're left with more to fix later by just putting it off.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Seriously? The circuit-breaker in your house trips 3 or 4 times in a row on a 10amp line, you know you only have a max of 3amps being used, do you:

a) shrug and try 5 more times until it doesn't anymore?
b) find out why it's shorting, has a bad contact point, one of the components actually using the line is going bad, or something hooked to it you forgot/missed?

If it didn't do it just once or twice you know something at that point wasn't right. Not knowing just means a delay of consequences when it crops up again, as you know it will, and possibly an escalation to the consequences depending on what it is.

Glad to hear it's functioning, your car, but I strongly suggest you actually figure out the cause before you're left with more to fix later by just putting it off.
Not sure if you've read the entire thread or not, but it looks as though the OP has tested all of the connections relating to the fuse in question and not found anything wrong. So it just so happens that after he disconnects and re-cuts open the harness, checks for bad connections, striped wires, exc, then re-connects everything and the problem is solved.

Plus, let's not forget that this just started after the OP had installed the supercharger, so the harnesses was cut open, and several connectors were modified, exc. It's not like he was driving with this kit on his car for a year, then this started, but for arguments sake lets use the same example:

The circuit-breaker in your house trips 3 or 4 times in a row on a 10amp line, you know you only have a max of 3amps being used. You check the wiring at each connecting point (disconnect and re-connect each of them) and check for breaks/striped wires along the entire line. Don't find any issues (no corroded/oxidized wires, no broken lines, no discolored/burnt wires or connections), but after disconnecting and re-connecting everything the problem has resolved itself. Do you:

Re-wire every line tied in with that circuit breaker as a precautionary measure?

Assume that there was a bad connection along the way and save the head ache unless the problem resumes?

I'm not disagreeing that I'd want to know what the issue was, but being that there were just several modifications done to the harness and no draws or cut wires could be found.. I would have to assume that there was a connection overlooked, or not making full contact. Which was resolved when the OP went over every wire and connection that was modified.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Replace the 'fuse' with an 1157 bulb or test light.
Go to a tugging wires and a disconnecting connectors.
When the bulb goes out, the short has been found.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

*snip*
I would have to assume that there was a connection overlooked, or not making full contact. Which was resolved when the OP went over every wire and connection that was modified.
This is all he did so far to trouble-shoot from what I understand:
I opened the wiring harness, checked the wires - they all looked good nothing obvious. I checked all the plugs and made sure the pins were okay. I used a multimeter AND a test light....NO short????

Turned on the key. BAM fuel pump turns on.
He didnīt go over the connections thoroughly, thatīs just it. He just tried again after the above, with very little trouble-shooting, it just works after going through more than a few fuses earlier.

Iīm not being a smart-*** here, itīs just shocking to me (no pun intended) that obsession seems to end on this board at the mechanical level. The general consensus seems to be for electrical problems for the car, Ļeh, it works now, heck with itĻ.

Assuming anything regarding this is just asking to have far greater issues to deal with later.

To me that's more or less the equivalent of having a target put on your back, then going right back to what you were doing because nobody at that exact moment is shooting at you anymore.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hey, as far as checking, I looked over all the wires in the harness and they all looked good. I tested every fuse in the fuse box with my test light and there were no shorts. I also had a mech. friend take a look and he found nothing visually. I agree I want to know what the deal was but I looked and tried to find out and I can't. So at this point all I can really do I guess is wait. I've now driven the car around and started it several times with no problems with the fuse blowing. Perhaps something was wrong with a connection and I fixed it while going through the harness.

Now, another problem is the car is misfiring. Only at part throttle cruise from what I can tell. Doesn't miss at idle or seem to when I go moderately (1/3 -1/2)throttle although twice in 4th gear the car fell on its face under moderate load. I don't feel many misses but my Interceptor gauge found 60 on my test drive (they seem slight). I haven't revved over 4k yet so idk about high rpm issues. Any ideas? All vacuum lines look OK and all connections seem to be tight. Past this I can install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure under load and to see if it drops - causing a miss. The plugs should be good to go ( HT0s gapped at .30)and the COPs seem secure too. Because of the 4th gear thing, this may be a fuel issue? - maybe the pump? The guy from Roush also said the car needs to relearn the tune and the cam sensors? He said it must be started and driven several times I guess for the adaptive learning (maybe my car has a stupid computer and it just takes him longer! ). NO codes have been thrown
Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

CORRECTION: Just started car and let it idle....It misses at idle too! I got like 13 misfires in 5 min. I do not believe it was doing this the other days it was idling or when I first let it run and warm up before driving it last night. Hmmm does the fact that it's getting worse indicate anything? .......It's also really cold (colder than the other nights)

Now, last night when I drove the car I got gas (93 as always). I was not paying attention to misfires on the gauge before so I can't say for certain but I didn't notice any misfires by feel or notice any on the gauge, but AGAIN, I wasn't really paying attention. What I do know for certain is that I noticed the misfires after I got gas. IDK i do get gas from this Exxon all the time and I've never gotten a misfire before. Question: What would you do? Try and siphon the tank? If this gas was "bad" could it have already fouled the plugs?

I wish I was paying more attention, I can't be certain if it was missing before the fill-up or not although I think I would have noticed at idle if it was as bad as today....Input?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Fuse Keeps Blowing!!!!