Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin spoiler, asking for trouble??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Default Chin spoiler, asking for trouble??

I have been dying to get the CDC chin spoiler but am worried it's I'm just asking for trouble? Do you guys that have the chin spoiler and lowered bottom out a lot? How durable is it IF you do end up hitting a curb?

FYI: American Muscle has it on sale for 209.99 PLUS they have a special email code that give you an additional 15% off, at $179, it's a great deal.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

You not just buying a front spoiler, also have to get a rear one to complete the look/lines. That said, yes, need to be very careful of speed-bumps and side walks.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

just becareful when u park. u cant pull all the way up or u will have scratched beat up chin spoiler
Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Definitely need to be more careful when parking around sidewalks/curbs/parking blocks and etc. I scraped the bottom side of my chin spoiler when backing out of my drive way at an angle. It scraped a little where the sidewalk and driveway meet.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I hit mine on a curb when parking. It just pulled it off the bumper slightly and put a small scratch on it. Now I just don't pull into spots as far and I've done fine.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

After I got her lowered, I started being very careful when parking. I actually try to back in as much as possible. The main thing I'm worried about is driveways and street intersection.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

The thing that bothers me the most with mine is the time I wasn't thinking and bumped the front against a curb and the time I nicked the side while pulling out of a spot that had a curb with an angle. (will never happen again!)

I've bottomed it out a decent number of times pulling out of parking lots, but those don't bother me as much because you can't really notice them. My car isn't lowered and it's still hard to avoid. I'm just happy it's just plastic and isn't painted.

To be honest, I bought an extra while it was on sale to put on when the weather warms up. (the scratches in front really bother me, even though nobody seems to notice them)

A tip: if you don't want to bottom it out, the worst thing you can do is stop short while pulling out of a lot. Just something I learned pretty early - you really have to watch out for those cars that change into the lane you're getting into at the last moment if you want to avoid this.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just need to be careful and take slopes at an angle if it's that big of a dip. Also parking in a corner spot can be a pain unless you back in. If you aren't used to parking with a chin spoiler, you may scrape due to clearance and distance. The CDC chin is much more solid than the Roush that I have. I don't have many issues with my chin but I'm not lowered either due to the fact.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I have the CDC Aggressive on mine and the Caution is slammed! Parking - I just back in everywhere and never pull in. You just need to be real careful and pay attention when driving over speed bumps or dips in the road
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

I think I pretty much convinced myself not to get one. I was running some errands at work today and bottom out when leaving an office building. I could just picture the chin spoiler cracking in half after that one. Bummed cause I really wanted to get one. Anyone with picture of the clearance lowered? Il trying to convince myself into getting it :-)

Quick Reply: Chin spoiler, asking for trouble??