Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Drifting

Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #41
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, GT/CS

I´d like to take mine to the track to see what I could do in this regard, but since this isn´t like my weekend car I´d probably panziefy it up as I´m fairly nuts with my car, but even if I was good enough for that, or my car was setup to do it, I´d just be too afraid of f´ing it up. I assume unless you have slicks your likely to be jumping more than sliding, possibly causing some serious axle damage amongst other things at the least.

Gotta figure there´s probably some serious alignment issues, bearing stress and such, even past the obvious of losing a set of tires at the minimum. Not counting f´ups where they´re driving through the grass the first few attempts.

Maybe someone would loan me their´s? Pretty please? With sugar on top? No? Bastids!

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by wayne613; 12-24-2010 at 08:14 PM.
wayne613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #42
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011,ford,mustang

Mellow
No I couldn't do that, I got to have a motor, that looks like way to much work.
People have been drifting for a very long time and just not calling it drifting. Pikes peak has got to be one of the original drifting places. 88 years now they have been drifting up pikes peak, they just never called it that. Pikes peak drifting looks very very hard, I don't think I would even try that. "Drifting" on flat ground doesn't look hard at all.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

Start with power sliding....then move on to drifting.. Power sliding is what a lot of drivers refer to as drifting....but it is one step short.....it uses the entire corner, not just the exit.

(following was copied from somewhere on line)

Enter the turn or curve at the normal rate of speed, allowing the car to hit the apex or the innermost part of its turn at a safe and predictable velocity.
Step on the throttle of the vehicle as the car passes the apex and the curve starts to straighten out. At the same time, turn the steering wheel into the same direction as the curve until you start to feel the wheels lose traction with the road.
Continue to step on the gas as the vehicle starts to slide laterally out of the curve, making sure to keep the nose of the car aimed at the straight portion of the road ahead.
Take your foot off the throttle once you have the nose of the car pointed in the right direction. Wait until the car regains traction on the road surface before reapplying the throttle. Note that failure to remove your foot from the gas pedal, at exactly the right moment, will cause the car to spin out of control.
Reapply the gas once your car is facing the right direction and the tires have regained traction. Continue to the straightaway from that point.
Continue to practice the powerslide technique if you are having a problem with the car spinning inward or oversteering. Use an empty parking lot, and alternate between steering the car into a curve with the gas pedal depressed and taking your foot off the accelerator while letting the car regain traction. Every car is different, so you will need to learn at what specific point your car will lose traction.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #44
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Yeah, it's a LOT of split second timing and attention to the tiniest detail and feel of the car. Sitting in the car and watching my buddy go from gear-shift to brake to gas to e-brake- to WOT all while caressing the wheel like a lover... it's like a finely-tuned, well-rehearse love-making session between man and machine.

While, on the other hand, simply sliding a car around in the street is more like a painful date-rape with a bad hangover. LOL

"I'm a style over performance kinda guy. I don't race so 420 hp stock is more than good enough for me."
Fifthwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #45
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwind View Post
Yeah, it's a LOT of split second timing and attention to the tiniest detail and feel of the car. Sitting in the car and watching my buddy go from gear-shift to brake to gas to e-brake- to WOT all while caressing the wheel like a lover... it's like a finely-tuned, well-rehearse love-making session between man and machine.
I´d still bet money more than a few here could probably do decent drifting with a bit of practice, pony-fanatics as most are in here are likely to have a good feel of their car. I´ve practically lived in my cars since 16, I´m almost not in my own house as much.
Not to some of the insane levels of control with some of the vids and such I´ve seen, but still.
I´d think the more limiting factors would be the cost, before, during, and after. As I wouldn´t trust my rear from jumping, my engine at that level of RPM´s for that long, and on and on.. assuming I could get it right and hold it to begin with.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM   #46
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

I can't afford the tires. So, I'll raise my hand as a quitter before I even start.

To be honest, though, I've always thought the same thing about those of you who head to the drag strip every weekend. Buying a nice new stang, then trying everything you can to beat it to death is a hobby I can't afford. LOL

"I'm a style over performance kinda guy. I don't race so 420 hp stock is more than good enough for me."
Fifthwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #47
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwind View Post
To be honest, though, I've always thought the same thing about those of you who head to the drag strip every weekend. Buying a nice new stang, then trying everything you can to beat it to death is a hobby I can't afford. LOL
I beat the snot out of mine in comparison to most I´d wager, but that´s taking it to a much higher beat-down level. If I get around some time to getting to the track when they´ll let you for a fee, then sign the 500 pages worth of documents to wave their liability, I´d go for it. But I´d only do it once in a blue moon. I wanna keep this car running, not in the shop emptying my bank account.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #48
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon111 View Post
Drifting isn't hard, I used to do it when I lived up north in the snow or in the summer on gravel roads, it's just a matter of keeping the car on the balance of recovery or spinning out, not hard at all. All the drifters do now is put in some tire smoke. I wouldn't want all that rubber glued to the wheel wells. As far as speed goes, drifting fast or slow it's still just a balancing act. There's a commercial out now that shows a Challenger drifting at about 1 mph, and it is a balancing act even at that speed.
A lot of people seem to like watching drifting just as people like to watch someone do a burn out until his tires pop, I don't get either one. But, that's just me. Anyone want to send me the price of a pair of 275-35-18 555s I would be happy to film the removal of some rubber. I would even hook up a white smoke bomb in the back just for effect.
luvmygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #49
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Love
If I was a Troll, I would now say that you for bringing this back up front.
Oh yea, Power sliding with all 4 wheels is not drifting, power sliding the back wheels (like at pikes peak) is drifting, Much like Garage sales are like Picking. Picking and Drifting are relatively new TV language. Garage sales and power sliding has been around for a very long time.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #50
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Love
Oh yea, Power sliding with all 4 wheels is not drifting, power sliding the back wheels (like at pikes peak) is drifting, Much like Garage sales are like Picking. Picking and Drifting are relatively new TV language. Garage sales and power sliding has been around for a very long time.
While it´s been around, the popularity of it as more of a mass thing has coined the term.

There´s still a huge difference between a) lunging into a turn, power-sliding through it, then spinning a bit out and through it to return straight then to b) throwing your car into it on asphalt and holding it with perfect control for extended periods.
The former I think just about any who have done even some of the more basic mods to their mustang for more power have probably done more than a few times. The later would take far more to accomplish.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #51
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT 2000 GT

drifting is like synchronized swimming of the auto world.

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
onederful100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #52
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederful100 View Post
drifting is like synchronized swimming of the auto world.

Still, gotta have at least one other doing it with you for that to be really a true parallel to draw.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #53
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Wayne
What ever you think, If it quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, It's probably a Duck. A controlled slide on cement or any other surface is just that, a controlled slide, You can call it what ever name you wish and presume any one section is harder than the other, but I would guess that the guys that slide sideways up pies peak might differ that what they do is not as hard as sliding around on spinning, smoking, back tires. It's all in the balance.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #54
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT 2000 GT

back in high school i was having fun drifting my mom's ford granada in the rain around corners.
ended up over steering and over correcting, and crashing straight into a wall.
drifting was not meant for a granada. lol.

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
onederful100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #55
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon111
Wayne
What ever you think, If it quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, It's probably a Duck. A controlled slide on cement or any other surface is just that, a controlled slide, You can call it what ever name you wish and presume any one section is harder than the other,
Thing is, to me your saying because it flies it´s a duck, and looks like it from thousands of feet out that it is, not because it quacks or looks like one up close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon111
but I would guess that the guys that slide sideways up pies peak might differ that what they do is not as hard as sliding around on spinning, smoking, back tires. It's all in the balance.
Not many places outside of the major cities wouldn´t have similar spots that many test their luck with I´d wager. We have our own few spots here that many do the same with.

Comparatively speaking, it seems more like boasting about being able to hit a baseball at 80mph at a batting cage, thinking you´d be able to hit off a major league pitcher, while you might be able to, the difference once subjected to the later in skill to do so as successfully as the previous would be quite a bit higher.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #56
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Wayne
In your mind the "drifting" is compaired to the Major league pitcher, I think it would be more compaired to the batting cage. It's just balance, Saying something is more difficult don't really make it more difficult, it's just what you think.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #57
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Still gotta say, without having done this at this level on a track I still think your comparing say, Diving into the deep end of a pool from the edge as being the same thing as cliff-diving.

Sorry, I'm really just going to need to throw the "aaaaaallllrighty-then" card out on this and just let it go. But still fun.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #58
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

aaaalllrightyyy then back at ya
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #59
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008,Ford, Boss Mustang GT

Quote:
Wayne
In your mind the "drifting" is compaired to the Major league pitcher, I think it would be more compaired to the batting cage. It's just balance, Saying something is more difficult don't really make it more difficult, it's just what you think.
Then why isn't everyone being payed six figures for drifting cars professionally?

Your arguing with people just to argue and make your self feel "accomplished". So stop it and go hug your mother.

Daily Driver Modifications: Various and many appearance mods, 255 in the front, 275 in the back, C&L Race CAI, 93 octane Brenspeed tune, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust, TCI Ratchet shifter with custom ball.
ikemikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #60
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

It rained the other day, and I actually drifted! Just my stupidity really, I took a corner to fast and in an effort to try to shift the weight of my car forward, I made the mistake of gassing it instead of braking!

My front wheels stayed glued to the asphalt, but my rear wheels were spinning freely on the wet road. It was so much fun that I din't want to let up off the gas!

Damn, I guess I will have to get a cheap set of rims with cheap tires and find some open and safe place to do this.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
39mto39g, drifting, forums, mustang