Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! MUFFLER INSTALL Q!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:39 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default NEED HELP! MUFFLER INSTALL Q!

Hey guys, I am installing my Pypes Pype Bomb axle-back exhaust and I can't get the stock muffler off the piping to remove it. It's pretty much corroded on. I've got all the nuts off the hangers and anything involved I just need ideas on how to remove the muffler from the pipes. My next effort is going to be heating it with a MAPP gas torch to see if we can loosen it up. Any other suggestions that don't involve cutting the pipe/welding?

thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Put a 2x4 against the muffler and wack it instead if you're gonna hit anything.
WD40 might help a bit as well.

A torch is the next step but not a guaranty if you can't get the pipe red...
Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Try some PB Blaster. It cuts the rust on bolts pretty good. Tap lightly around the joint to break things loose but do not dent the pipe.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You might be able to use a cold chisel and a medium-heavy hammer to split the muffler side pipe where it overlaps the other pipe. That'll let you peel the outer metal away from the inner pipe which should remain relatively unharmed. That, and a little twisting at the muffler ought to free it. Wear goggles or a face shield.

Push come to shove and you don't want to use heat, you could still cut the muffler pipe a few inches behind the clamp location and go to work on the rest of it with wrenches, hammers, chisels, etc., from the back side.

Norm
Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since everything is bolt & clamped, I'd think a lot of wiggling at the joints should allow it to slowly slip free. Certainly the WD-40 that pascal mentioned should help. Those shouldn't be too corroded.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Saws all, cut the old one off, weld the new one on.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Definatly wear eye protection, WD40 or PB works great. Wiggle the sh#t out of it, try to 2x4 method. It'll come off, you just gotta show it whos da boss!!

Look to see if you have some nipples on the over axle pipe, you might need to twist it (muffler) then pull out.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Something else just crossed my mind, and that's either that the OP is not the car's original owner, or he is and had an exhaust rattle complaint early in the car's life. It is possible that the pipes were tackwelded together after the car rolled off the production line. That would definitely change the plan of attack.

A closer inspection might be well worth the small amount of time spent doing it.

Norm
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I was getting ready to use PB blaster but i'm afraid that if I use that and it doesn't work i'll run into problems if I need to torch it (seeing as how oil is flammable). Is this a plausible concern or should I march out there right now and spray the portion i'm having trouble with, let it set for a while and go to work.

Also, maybe i'm just being a puss but I tried hitting some shims against the muffler to break it loose, used a hammer with a wedge to try breaking it loose and also tried to turn (literally) it loose with some pliers.

Thanks for all the help by the way.

OH YEAH, I bought the car used so i'll look to see if it's welded or not. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

bump for help

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! MUFFLER INSTALL Q!