Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer AVIC X920BT Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
Thanks very much. Now, if it warms up a bit here, maybe i can get the unit installed into my car. its still cold and blowing but my baby is under a nice blanket in the garage (unheated) staying clean. won't be getting her out on the road until most likely late March!

Going to be painful waiting to use the radio!

Np.

I Don't know how ya'll do it. Even if I had a beater I don't think it would get used much. Like buying and setting up a bad-*** theater in your home, then watching the normal games all year on the 12' tube set only to turn on the uber system for the last 2 play-off games and the super-bowl.

Insanity I say!...and stuff.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Banetbc

Question for those with the Shaker 500 already in your car and replaced it with the Pioneer X920BT. Do you need the C2R-FRD1 for the amplified speakers or just one of the aftermarket wiring harnesses(to avoid the splicing of wires)? I had heard the speakers would be "lower" then with the Shaker, and then noticed the note on Crutchfields website:

"Your vehicle is factory-equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter that will connect your new stereo to your amplified factory system. PAC C2R-FRD1 $129.99"

I already have the following parts on the way, just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Scosche FD23B 2003-Up Select Ford Harness
Scosche FD1426B Double ISO DIN Kit for 2004-Up Ford
Pioneer CD-IU50V USB Interface Cable for iPod/iPhone
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the harness from Crutchfield c2R-frd1 and it worked fine. The radio and CD player sound is fine but my iPhone plays a bit lower.

All in all though, this is a awesome head unit packed with many features. You will be very happy.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Banetbc
"Your vehicle is factory-equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter that will connect your new stereo to your amplified factory system. PAC C2R-FRD1 $129.99"

I already have the following parts on the way, just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Scosche FD23B 2003-Up Select Ford Harness
Scosche FD1426B Double ISO DIN Kit for 2004-Up Ford
Pioneer CD-IU50V USB Interface Cable for iPod/iPhone
The speakers will not be "lower" using the CDR-FDR1 adapter. They are not even filtered through it, speakers are a straight shot just like the Scosche FD23B. That adapter is made to make things easier by lowering the remote on voltages for you to match with no work on your part, and to grab 2 specific can-bus signals at this point, VSS, and e-brake. Which, I'm guessing the signals you plan to bypass anyhow. But it does no audio signal filtering or even passing through, just a straight shot.

And no. You do not have everything. You still need at minimum the 8pin adapter for the actual shaker sub connections and amp turn ons. Then a means to bring the remotes on that to 5v, either with a 1k ohm resistor, or using a 5v regulator.

You should be getting the Scoche FDK11B, not the FD23B. This can be gotten locally, easily. Sears, autozone, pep-boys, best-buy, etc.

Last edited by wayne613; 04-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:40 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

I installed an AVIC D3 in my car a year ago, the bypass works great, especially when it comes to inputting navigation info, the DVD feature works great, but by far my most favorite feature of this system is the Ipod interface, if your system has this feature, get the cable connector for the Ipod, you will love it. I installed mine with Infinity Speakers front and back. Awesome sound.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Banetbc

Thanks, I've got a Scoche FDK11B ordered now, couldn't find it readily locally, and will grab a voltage regulator from Radio Shack. I appreciate the responses, it's been a little back and forth what I have been reading as to what you need.

For the VSS, do you actually need to bypass that as well? Only thing I had seen for the X920BT was to move the mute wire over and ground both it and the E-Brake cable.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Banetbc
Thanks, I've got a Scoche FDK11B ordered now, couldn't find it readily locally, and will grab a voltage regulator from Radio Shack. I appreciate the responses, it's been a little back and forth what I have been reading as to what you need.

For the VSS, do you actually need to bypass that as well? Only thing I had seen for the X920BT was to move the mute wire over and ground both it and the E-Brake cable.
The bypass for this, I'm unsure. I know it does both GPS and Video bypass using this "bypass" line. But never mentions if it bypasses the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) completely, or just ignores the data to give you GPS control when rolling. So, it's not "necessary" if it's bypassed anyhow, but you may find your GPS data saying your in Kansas on a back-road for a few seconds at a time if you loose your GPS signal otherwise. They would really have to respond, as I've helped many online, and friends locally to install units, but I've not run an bought aftermarket head-unit of my own in many years now.

VSS is used by the GPS to maintain where you are and are going in the event it loses the GPS signal for a time, or otherwise can't read the data for some reason for a few seconds/minutes. That is in addition to locking you out of GPS controls when it senses you are in motion.
The usual PAC unit has this, but I don't know if anyone that has installed this unit has still wired it up, what the effect was, and what the effect will be of not hooking this up, since you don't have a PAC unit, and would have to run a separate line to the SJB if you really wanted this without the PAC unit.

Pictures and typed fairly detailed instructions on how to wire the regulator (12v in, 5v regulated out) are in some of the stickies in the Audio/Video section of the forum, as I believe are using the resistor method. But if you still have trouble, let me know.

Last edited by wayne613; 04-11-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Banetbc

Appreciate it, should have the other harness in the next couple of days and will put it in on Saturday.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

The VSS wire is located under the hood. Look up Taco Bills AVIC install and it will give the location of the VSS wire under the hood and the pin that it need to be connected to. Without the VSS wire the navigation unit is not as accurate.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Banetbc

Thanks for the input, guys. Put the stereo in Friday night and it worked fine. Only thing I had an issue with was the antenna wire, it was installed with only just enough to get to the right side of the Skipper500, and getting another 5 inches out of the line took me about an hour and a half. Other then that, prepping the harnesses ahead of time took most of the work out of it. Everything else went great.

Now just to get a micro-sd card that I can dump pictures on to change the splash screen