Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latch on back of front seat broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I can see how people end up breaking that button. With one hand you need to grab the seat up at the headrest and push the front seat rearward a bit to take the spring load off the mechanism, then with the other hand lift up the button. It makes it much easier to lift the lever up, at least for me.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

When I bought my car, it didn't come with seat release levers.. I just ended up buying chrome seat release levers from AM. Works fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I usually use the 2 handed approach mentioned by Timmbo... However the one time I use the latch to move the seat back forward on the passenger seat while sitting in the driver's seat, I broke mine... Crap... So I bought these from UPR. Couldn't be happier and they are anodized black, so they match pretty good... I am so surprised (no not really, thank you bean counters) that Ford would use cheap plastic handles for this.

Anyways, good luck. Also, in the mean time, use the lever on the side of the seat cushion like previously stated.

Don
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I usually use the 2 handed approach mentioned by Timmbo... However the one time I use the latch to move the seat back forward on the passenger seat while sitting in the driver's seat, I broke mine... Crap... So I bought these from UPR. Couldn't be happier and they are anodized black, so they match pretty good... I am so surprised (no not really, thank you bean counters) that Ford would use cheap plastic handles for this.

Anyways, good luck. Also, in the mean time, use the lever on the side of the seat cushion like previously stated.

Don
That just seems expensive for two levers.
So far mine have held up.....could be because only my son has ridden in the back and I will not let him mess with the levers. I do it myself as described by Timmbo.
Now if mine were to break, I think I would search the junk yards first.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by timmbo
I can see how people end up breaking that button. With one hand you need to grab the seat up at the headrest and push the front seat rearward a bit to take the spring load off the mechanism, then with the other hand lift up the button. It makes it much easier to lift the lever up, at least for me.
No issues with my handles either (knock on plastic). I use the method above for mine and my kids all know it. So far so good. (08 GT)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

These little seat latches never did work right. We had the same damn things on our 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC and they were trash then. Same deal with my buddy's 94 Cobra.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Price gouge?

The lever on the drivers seat back on my '06 GT 'vert gave up the ghost & snapped off. I knew this was a common problem so I expected it. What I didn't expect was the cost for a new one. The list price on this piece of plastic crap is almost $48. The parts guy in my local dealer felt so bad about it he gave it to me for $32. Way to go Ford!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

There's a latch on the back of the seat? I've never used it since I don't have any kids and don't know any midgets. No full size person can ride in the back of a s197.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
There's a latch on the back of the seat? I've never used it since I don't have any kids and don't know any midgets. No full size person can ride in the back of a s197.
Lucky for them.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:01 PM
ghladysh

I just post a video on Doc's Boost, which is my YouTube channel about replacing the upper seat back latch on 2007-2014 Mustang seats. Check it out. The part costs $85.00 from the dealership, and they usually have them in stock. They are cable activated and the cable breaks where it attaches at the hinge (lower) area. Let me know if it helps.

Quick Reply: Latch on back of front seat broke