Latch on back of front seat broke - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
timmbo
3rd Gear Member
 
timmbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 671
Default

I can see how people end up breaking that button. With one hand you need to grab the seat up at the headrest and push the front seat rearward a bit to take the spring load off the mechanism, then with the other hand lift up the button. It makes it much easier to lift the lever up, at least for me.
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
alkemist
5th Gear Member
 
alkemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pineapple under the Sea
Posts: 3,113
Default

When I bought my car, it didn't come with seat release levers.. I just ended up buying chrome seat release levers from AM. Works fine.
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member
 
BigDinTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,276
Default

I usually use the 2 handed approach mentioned by Timmbo... However the one time I use the latch to move the seat back forward on the passenger seat while sitting in the driver's seat, I broke mine... Crap... So I bought these from UPR. Couldn't be happier and they are anodized black, so they match pretty good... I am so surprised (no not really, thank you bean counters) that Ford would use cheap plastic handles for this.

Anyways, good luck. Also, in the mean time, use the lever on the side of the seat cushion like previously stated.

Don
BigDinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
07 Stang
6th Gear Member
 
07 Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southeast Virginia
Posts: 6,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinTexas View Post
I usually use the 2 handed approach mentioned by Timmbo... However the one time I use the latch to move the seat back forward on the passenger seat while sitting in the driver's seat, I broke mine... Crap... So I bought these from UPR. Couldn't be happier and they are anodized black, so they match pretty good... I am so surprised (no not really, thank you bean counters) that Ford would use cheap plastic handles for this.

Anyways, good luck. Also, in the mean time, use the lever on the side of the seat cushion like previously stated.

Don
That just seems expensive for two levers.
So far mine have held up.....could be because only my son has ridden in the back and I will not let him mess with the levers. I do it myself as described by Timmbo.
Now if mine were to break, I think I would search the junk yards first.
07 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 10,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo View Post
I can see how people end up breaking that button. With one hand you need to grab the seat up at the headrest and push the front seat rearward a bit to take the spring load off the mechanism, then with the other hand lift up the button. It makes it much easier to lift the lever up, at least for me.
No issues with my handles either (knock on plastic). I use the method above for mine and my kids all know it. So far so good. (08 GT)
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 300
Default

These little seat latches never did work right. We had the same damn things on our 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC and they were trash then. Same deal with my buddy's 94 Cobra.
CincyGT2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member
 
Goldenpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Default Price gouge?

The lever on the drivers seat back on my '06 GT 'vert gave up the ghost & snapped off. I knew this was a common problem so I expected it. What I didn't expect was the cost for a new one. The list price on this piece of plastic crap is almost $48. The parts guy in my local dealer felt so bad about it he gave it to me for $32. Way to go Ford!
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

There's a latch on the back of the seat? I've never used it since I don't have any kids and don't know any midgets. No full size person can ride in the back of a s197.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Art161
4th Gear Member
 
Art161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang View Post
There's a latch on the back of the seat? I've never used it since I don't have any kids and don't know any midgets. No full size person can ride in the back of a s197.
Lucky for them.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
ghladysh
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2
Default

I just post a video on Doc's Boost, which is my YouTube channel about replacing the upper seat back latch on 2007-2014 Mustang seats. Check it out. The part costs $85.00 from the dealership, and they usually have them in stock. They are cable activated and the cable breaks where it attaches at the hinge (lower) area. Let me know if it helps.

ghladysh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting a 2015 Mustang GT on a diet. panic 5.0L GT S550 Tech 7 08-28-2015 02:37 AM
Starting a lightening project for a GT, inputs and infos will be highly appreciated. panic The New S550 2015-2017 Mustang 0 08-25-2015 09:34 AM
Seat foam? bluovalguy 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 4 08-24-2015 08:20 AM
2013 GT500 GB/BS, 3,700K miles, All options except glass roof, 8yr/36k mile ESP inyadreems Mustangs For Sale 2 08-21-2015 09:10 AM
65 Mustang Upholstery from different vendors MtnMustang Classic Mustangs (Tech) 2 08-16-2015 08:07 PM


Tags
05, 1967, 2006, 2007, 50, back, broke, broken, ford, front, gt, latch, mustang, rear, release, seat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.