Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting blown! Also question about Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Ill try and call Brenspeed tomorrow + shoot them an e-mail to let them know I want to upgrade to the intercooled version

Can't I just keep the boost turned down so that there is less chance of grenading the engine?

If I keep the car garaged will I have to worry about running the car in cold temps? I am in Kansas and it does sometimes dip below 20-25 degrees, it has especially been like that this year.

I had gears before on my old 06 GT Convertible and I didn't really like them. I might do them later after the SC is on.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

20-25 isn't bad.. its when it gets into the negatives where it does damage (don't feel bad, other shiet gets effected at that temp as well lol)

You can always run lower boost with most kits, it's no big deal. Just make sure the tune is spot on, and use premium gas.

Enjoy!

PS

get some delete plates while you're at it, or a high flow manifold if you can swing it.. it's good for about 20whp or so.

What gears did you have on your 06? the 4:10s make a hell of a difference in my auto w/vortech.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 01-16-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
20-25 isn't bad.. its when it gets into the negatives where it does damage (don't feel bad, other shiet gets effected at that temp as well lol)

What gears did you have on your 06? the 4:10s make a hell of a difference in my auto w/vortech.
I went with 3.73's on the old car. I think the reason I didn't like them was because I hadn't figured out the launch yet.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
I went with 3.73's on the old car. I think the reason I didn't like them was because I hadn't figured out the launch yet.
lol trust me.. I hate the 4.10s when I first got them as well.

It takes awhile to figure out how to launch properly. Once I did, I was hitting 2.0 60 ft.s all day at the track on street tires. I'd imagine I could drop it to 1.8 or lower on ET drags or even 1.5-1.6s on slicks

The 4.10s are great, but be very aware that the gears are literally 1k from one another, and it's either all out (WOT/downshift) or nothing at all because it'll constantly up-shift to a higher gear for you (in traffic).

Your highway RPMs will also go up (2800@75mph).

Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

With the 05's-09's, the stock 3:55's are fine with a twin screw. You'll simply spin your wheels with shorter gears unless you're on Drag Radials all the time.

With my 06 weighing around 3500 now after some weight loss, with my Saleen @10lbs now @454rwhp, 442trk, I am faster off the line than a GT500 still because of my lighter car, longer gears and 5 speed manual rather than six. The GT500 with 3:37 gears and six speed manual spins the wheels on launches easier than my car.

For my cars weight, and driving on the street 98% of the time, I prefer at my present HP and torque on a twin screw not to have shorter gears and a six throw. Racing would be a different matter. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 01-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I had 3.31s on my 09 when the Vortech non-IC went on. I was still a tire spin show, they'd light up at 30mph... I upgraded to 3.73s and never liked them. They just didn't seem to make much of a difference to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Like mentioned earlier, if they won't switch out, a good meth injection system will also do the trick.

My 08 (roots blower) is intercooled & my 1990 (centri) has a meth kit on it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I am kind of worried about the whole starting the car in winter thing. I have been reading a lot of different threads on that issue and can't really seem to get a straight answer.

The general consensus of what I found was that the car should be fine trough the winter but it's a really bad idea to start if it gets in the negative temps. I read a few people said they had taken their car through multiple winters with a Vortech, one guy was more specific (Chicago winter) and said they never had any problems, just let the car warm up first.

It doesn't usually go below 20 degrees here, typically it's 25-40 degrees but there are some days where it gets close to zero, but rarely negative.

I was thinking of switching to a 0w30 oil since it flows better in the cold but I also read the issue isn't with the oil flowing, it actually has to do with some parts in the blower that may not function properly at low temperatures which can cause a failure.

I really want to make sure and do everything possible to not grenade the engine.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

My $0.02

the non-intercooled kit is fine but it'll eventually hot and pull so much boost it's no fun at all.
No fun at all?

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Even at that the car was still faster than stock. You're never going to have it do "nothing", that just defies physics.
Faster than stock sounds fun...And I'd assume he'd still be faster than his current setup...See OP sig

Keep in mind the intercooled version of the Paxton kit will put down 480rwhp which is more than enough to snap the internals like twigs.
Agreed!

plus you're gonna need some gears with the centri's.. I can't imagine trying to run 3:31s with it lulz those damn granny gears are horrible unless you had something like a roots or twin screw and even then you'd be better off with at least 3:55s even though theres barely a difference between the two. The 4.10s I have are great for acceleration.. not so great for top end though (120+)
With an Auto, OP, I'd agree that 3.73s may work best, but I've never been in a blown auto...I'll let stealth and Flap tell you, their they experts here...

I had 3.31s on my 09 when the Vortech non-IC went on. I was still a tire spin show, they'd light up at 30mph...
Sounds super fun for all, except my tire fund...

Originally Posted by gburke1
I am kind of worried about the whole starting the car in winter thing. I have been reading a lot of different threads on that issue and can't really seem to get a straight answer...
I'd be scared also...There's a lot that could go wrong, and you seem to be on the border of too cold...I assume it's a DD...As for the oil, I *believe* the throwback is the same as the Vortech in that it's self contained, meaning changing the oil viscosity in your engine oil won't affect the S/C at all...And I'd stay with the wieghted oil the S/C recomends...

I'd say if you can afford it, go intercooled, and if not save up for it...Either way I'd suspect you'd be faster than your curtrent setup, which is fun...That cold alert scares me, and for the $$ of the IC'd version a TS or roots may be better for your application, especially with auto...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed called me back this morning & got it upgraded to the intercooled kit.

According to them it should be fine in the weather here as long as you let the car warm up... hopefully that is correct. The only story I read about one blowing up from this was in -40 temps.

Ill definitely be trying to keep the boost down til I have enough cash to comfortably be able to buy a new block. I'm sure I will have to upgrade the wheels, tires, brakes now as well to fully enjoy the car.

Last edited by gburke1; 01-17-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting blown! Also question about Tuner